RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Hip-Hop Talk Archives (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bootlegging Is Ruining The Music Industry (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=109997)

Gunman tha Great 01-26-04 07:52 PM

Bootlegging Is Ruining The Music Industry

didn't know if ya'll knew that or not. When u bootleg somebody's shit you ARE stealing from that artist, and when all of a sudden you notice that artist aint dropping shit no more, you are 2 blame, because even though artist make the most money off tours, its the labels that put the artist on those tours and if the record sales aren't showing a nice size fan base, then that artist isn't going to get the right tours he or she needs. I don't fuck wit burnt CDs or Bootlegged shits, get a job or something and pay for tha fucking CD.

C-Section 01-26-04 08:01 PM

* goes to download some more music*

MuhThugga 01-26-04 08:31 PM

I don't download full albums, but I also can't fork out $20 a CD when the artist wants me to.

The whole file-sharing on the Internet thing is just a revolt against the over-priced CD's in stores. When Compact Discs were first introduced, they promised the public that these discs would be cheaper than the tapes and vinyl. Now that isn't so and people have grown tired of paying and arm and a leg for music to listen to.

wogzta 01-26-04 08:41 PM

^ i only bootlegg or download when i cant get it anywhere else... or if i dont really like an artist but wanna check them out... by the way... i'll bet you most rap artists that were once from the ghetto or the streets bootlegged CD's.. pirated versions... you think they had money to fork out $20 for every time someones album came out? And hip hop artists DO listen to other rappers...

Sir Q. Layshun 01-26-04 08:44 PM

God I Love Myk In A Straight Way LOL

So I Dont Really Give A Fuck, There Already All Rich Anyways Whats So Bad About Them Gettin Normal Jobs?

saltheking 01-26-04 08:58 PM

LMAO@ this thread

HE VOICED HIS OPINION LETS ALL LISTEN AND PUT A LARGE DAMPER ON PIRACY...
...or not...
in fact!!!! do you like nelly??? didnt think so!! now go bootleg all of his shit and see how you(of course and the millions and zillions of us bootleging it...man how does he go platinum so many times) take him out of commision! i'll help you too!!!
bootlegging= a. okay under the right circtumstances...
::eats dinner::

Fl~O~mEtRy 01-26-04 09:00 PM

i just download a few songs to see if i shood buy the album
i jus downloaded a few songs from Visions Of ghandi n now imma buy it

Sick ILL CeLL 01-26-04 09:19 PM

i dont give a fuck...its a only certain albums i buy...da rest i bootleg...there was no use fo dis post...cuz u aint gon make a difference in da bootleggin world...

Transmogrify 01-26-04 09:26 PM

So Gunman, Hows '95?

Da NFamous 01-26-04 10:24 PM

I agree i despise bootlegging in the industry, i know far too many niggas who do that shit and whenever i findout somebody copped a bootleg i give them a lyrical thrashing, i HATE that shit, i actually buy albums now, and every album i dloaded or bought bootleg i've bought fa real now, 1luv.

DNUFO2 01-26-04 10:35 PM

ya It's the reason both my parents don't work for record labels anymore. But u can't stop it.

Mr.Christensen 01-26-04 10:37 PM

my 56k doesnt let me download

but i aint buying an album for that much...ill just throw in an extra 10 dollars and get a DVD

prices suck

Dez 01-26-04 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick ILL CeLL
i dont give a fuck...its a only certain albums i buy...da rest i bootleg...there was no use fo dis post...cuz u aint gon make a difference in da bootleggin world...

argh...just add another letter and say 'the'...

add one more and say 'this'..

add.......god....nevermind...

DªÖ 01-26-04 10:50 PM

and yet it is those who try to make money off the cd's that
wont put them on the tours :\

...OpeY... 01-27-04 03:18 AM

artists make about 3 cents per cd sale. Even if the sell 2 million CDs in a year they only make about $60,000 a year. Then take out legal fees, taxes, other business expenses, etc. And the artist is left with pocket change. Point being... artists make nothing from CD sales. They make their money from concerts, merchandise, and publishing. The only ones that benefit from cd sales are the greedy music labels who rip off the artists to get rich. You should try educating yourself before preaching to the masses

FlowDro 01-27-04 03:20 AM

The price of CD's is ridiculous given how much they cost to make, i know the money goes a lot of different ways and the artist wont see that much of it, but i simply cant afford to buy a lot of CD's, file sharing has been a good experience for me because it has expanded my love of music so much, example: i would never go into best buy and purchase a Curtis Mayfield CD, but on kazaa i can preview it and see if i like it.

However, there is the other side of the spectrum, a lot of artists are losing motivation to come up because they are witnessing that it's becoming harder and harder to make a living off music. There are still however people who do what they do just for the love of music, not monetary profit

Phoeniix 01-27-04 03:30 AM

^word

...OpeY... 01-27-04 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowDro
a lot of artists are losing motivation to come up because they are witnessing that it's becoming harder and harder to make a living off music. There are still however people who do what they do just for the love of music, not monetary profit

this is exactly what file sharing is doing over time. it will help rid the industry of the people who could give a damn about the music. These people have destroyed the industry with greed. All they care about is dollar signs. These people exist on all levels of the music industry. I feel that as a musician it's my duty to take back what is rightfully mine. If you want to support the artists then DONT buy their CDs. If you truly care then for every CD you download, send that artist a dollar. If you did that, you would be paying the artist over 30 times what they wouldve made from that $20 CD. But honestly, the best way to support the artists is to go to their concerts. Buy their shirts and other merchandise from their websites etc. The only artists that are pissed off at file sharing are the artists that own their own labels and production companies, because they make a killing off of CD sales. But if these artists weren't so greedy, they would realize that they make enough money as it is. The movement against over-priced CDs and Artists being shafted by record labels is worth the petty loss in sales that these rich musicians have to deal with.

DªÖ 01-27-04 04:13 AM

but many argue the fact that its their money not any 1s else
that they worked hard for it and they earn it
^bs in my opinion.

inspire 01-27-04 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmogrify
So Gunman, Hows '95?

^Classic.

I buy the album if I like the artist..

I buy vinyl anyways.. I can fuck with it and then put it on my computer.

I maybe have like 20 songs on my computer.. Most of my music is netcee's anyways.. Go figure.

Gunman tha Great 01-27-04 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...OpeY...
this is exactly what file sharing is doing over time. it will help rid the industry of the people who could give a damn about the music. These people have destroyed the industry with greed. All they care about is dollar signs. These people exist on all levels of the music industry. I feel that as a musician it's my duty to take back what is rightfully mine. If you want to support the artists then DONT buy their CDs. If you truly care then for every CD you download, send that artist a dollar. If you did that, you would be paying the artist over 30 times what they wouldve made from that $20 CD. But honestly, the best way to support the artists is to go to their concerts. Buy their shirts and other merchandise from their websites etc. The only artists that are pissed off at file sharing are the artists that own their own labels and production companies, because they make a killing off of CD sales. But if these artists weren't so greedy, they would realize that they make enough money as it is. The movement against over-priced CDs and Artists being shafted by record labels is worth the petty loss in sales that these rich musicians have to deal with.

Bootlegging and file sharing is not ridding the industry of people who don't care about the music. Ok lets say that you are a rapper wit a deal and you have two kids and a wife, now rapping is the only way to put food on the table, u refuse to sell out to go multi platnium instead u just spit yo shit and get a nice fan base and move a gold album, now file sharing and bootlegging takes your gold album away.U got love for the music proving by the fact u won't sell out, but now u broke.

And the price of CD's has dropped like 5 bills, they cost on average eleven dollars now.

Transmogrify 01-27-04 11:43 AM

Rappers that aren't rich have dayjobs you intelligent one you

Gunman tha Great 01-27-04 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmogrify
Rappers that aren't rich have dayjobs you intelligent one you

U truly are an idiot aren't you? So explain 2 me, what is Pharoe Monch's day job?What do Jedi do?Common? Yeah their day jobs are being emcees, go over to your local acid dumping site and have a swim

Phate 01-27-04 12:03 PM

On one hand:
I partially agree wit opey that artists should be content with the money they make off of touring, and any artist who isn't happy making $100,000 a year doesn't deserve fans.

I also agree that CD's are too expensive to buy through physical distribution because most people don't care to pay for the packaging, shipping, and inventory cost associated with the physical product.

On the other hand:
I don't think it's fair to say that the record companies, brutal as they are, do not deserve to make revenue from their artists. Without record companies many unknown artists would not have gotten their first break. The record company takes a chance by producing the first album, and many of them bomb.

Also, while the revenues from tours make artists a healthy income....they do not pay for the studio time, editors, studio mucisians, mastering technitions, etc. that are needed to make a high quality commercial CD. Maybe most would be happy paying less for music even if it was lesser quality but if you want the highest sound quality and production techniques then the record company has to make money to pay for it.

If you don't want to buy an entire album plenty of new internet services are popping up where you can buy one song at a time and these services will only get better on both price and ease of use in the future.

all in all:
If i said I bought all my music then i would be lying. But if the record companies put forth a reasonable distribution system that covers high quality productions costs, gives some revenues to the artists, and allows for some profits necessary for signing new talent i won't mind paying the cost.

VennyRhymes 01-27-04 12:08 PM

Bootleggins all ready to big to stop. Its gd for the customers an album prices are to high bit its not doin the industry much gd. They lower there prices an ill buy more Originals

Gunman tha Great 01-27-04 12:09 PM

They already lowered them

...OpeY... 01-27-04 12:54 PM

^they didnt lower them. certain stores are taking a hit in profit so people will actually buy the cds. the labels are still getting the same huge cut from the sales. and like I said b4... 98% of musicians can't eat off CD sales even if they go multiplatinum. Do your homework before you discuss such topics.

Also, phate... the online music purchasing would be fair if the artists recieved a proper cut, but the artists still dont get paid from the song sales. they only get a fraction of a cent for each song. Meanwhile the record labels are still charging for such things as distribution, manufacturing and packaging. Again, the rich corporate companies found a way to turn a good deal into more greed. I do subscribe to Napster because it is a decent alternative to stealing but I only listen to the tracks. I would never buy the actual tracks. People think it is a compromise but its not. the record companies are taking advantage more with online sales than anything else. They charge $1 for each track. If you want a whole CD with 20 tracks you would pay $20 for the CD. They're making more and their expenses are WAY less. Like I said... if u wanna support the artist, send them a buck in the mail. theyll make WAY more profit that way.

Penskills 01-27-04 12:56 PM

download from the net..most of it's free~~

Gunman tha Great 01-27-04 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...OpeY...
^they didnt lower them. certain stores are taking a hit in profit so people will actually buy the cds. the labels are still getting the same huge cut from the sales. and like I said b4... 98% of musicians can't eat off CD sales even if they go multiplatinum. Do your homework before you discuss such topics.

Also, phate... the online music purchasing would be fair if the artists recieved a proper cut, but the artists still dont get paid from the song sales. they only get a fraction of a cent for each song. Meanwhile the record labels are still charging for such things as distribution, manufacturing and packaging. Again, the rich corporate companies found a way to turn a good deal into more greed. I do subscribe to Napster because it is a decent alternative to stealing but I only listen to the tracks. I would never buy the actual tracks. People think it is a compromise but its not. the record companies are taking advantage more with online sales than anything else. They charge $1 for each track. If you want a whole CD with 20 tracks you would pay $20 for the CD. They're making more and their expenses are WAY less. Like I said... if u wanna support the artist, send them a buck in the mail. theyll make WAY more profit that way.

Yes the labels did lower them.Def Jam,and Universal both lowered their recommended cd prices by 5 dollars.

...OpeY... 01-27-04 12:59 PM

yea they lowered the recommended prices. but theyre still makin the same profit regardless. ur missin the point.

Transmogrify 01-27-04 02:49 PM

I was watchin the news and This summer I'm going to start paying for music. These guy's (can't remember who they are) are opening up a pay filesharing program where artists can distribute there music independantly, for a low price. So in otherwords the keep all the money

self 01-27-04 02:54 PM

And you just got sonned by everyone in this thread.

Phate 01-27-04 03:00 PM

opey.....ye...that's why i said if they put forth a 'reasonable' digital distribution system i'd pay. Frankly I agree, a lot of the $1 charge is still going to support a dying distribution system.

But the fact is making the switch from physical product to digital product is not easy. Most music sales are still made through stores. Therefore Chains like Sam the Record Man still have plenty of power and they aren't going to just lay down and die.

If a record company dropped the price of online sales from $1 to 30 cents the stores would revolt and pull all the physical product. The record companies online sales would increase but not nearly enough to cover the loss of physical sales. And therefore until online sales begin to eclipse physical sales I wouldn't expect to see pricess fall.

self 01-27-04 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman tha Great
U truly are an idiot aren't you? So explain 2 me, what is Pharoe Monch's day job?What do Jedi do?Common? Yeah their day jobs are being emcees, go over to your local acid dumping site and have a swim

No, you are the fucking idiot. Learn to spell first off, Pharoahe Monch. Maybe if you had to type in his name to download his stuff you would know it.

If anything File Sharing over the internet helps underground rappers sell more albums. I know of at least 10 people who have downloaded Atmosphere songs from me, then the next day bought the CD.

Induelz 01-27-04 03:08 PM

ahh i know madonna gets like 2Dollars each album she sells..
but yea bootlegging is gay .. doubt it will stop i hope it doesnt

Transmogrify 01-27-04 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruklor
No, you are the fucking idiot. Learn to spell first off, Pharoahe Monch. Maybe if you had to type in his name to download his stuff you would know it.

If anything File Sharing over the internet helps underground rappers sell more albums. I know of at least 10 people who have downloaded Atmosphere songs from me, then the next day bought the CD.

\

Not Lying, This summer I heard my first underground rap by atmosphere, the next week I went and pre-ordered sevens Travels

Phate 01-27-04 03:17 PM

^^^just a quick note on madonna, or dre, or eminem, or jay-z, or puffy, or anyone else who owns they're own label. if you own the label then yes you get more revenue from the cd because you're getting both the 3-4 cents of the artists share, and the 1.95 which is the labels share. However, a lot of your label share goes back into the label. anyways, this accounds for less than 1% of all situations so i think it can be excluded as a special circumstance and not the standard practice.

Phate 01-27-04 03:20 PM

concerning bootlegging as promotion. it can help some but can you honestly tell me that you have bought all the albums the songs you've downloaded have come from?

if you are like most people (myself included) you have downloaded hundreads of songs and bought maybe 3-4 albums as a result.

Transmogrify 01-27-04 03:22 PM

Another thing on that, Look at micheal Jackson, one of the richest Artists ever because He rented his tracks instead of selling them to label so he received the $.05 for each CD + thousands for the rights to distribute that. But other artists that have tried that have been declined many times because the could just as easily be replaced by some ignorant person just wantin their name out there

Gunman tha Great 01-27-04 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruklor

Yeah you are not serious. So every fucking song you've downloaded that you have liked you went out and payed for the CD?didn't think so exit stage left