RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Asian Emcees: The Next Gimmick? (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=114581)

Mag... 02-15-04 11:48 PM

Asian Emcees: The Next Gimmick?

So what is it guys?

Oriental Gimmick, Legitimate Contenders, or "Who Gives a Shit!?"

inspire 02-15-04 11:50 PM

^Nope, not the next trend.

Oakley 02-15-04 11:51 PM

i agree....
not happening...

Mag... 02-16-04 12:32 AM

yea but would y'all have said that about white rappers before eminem revived the great hope??

{Peace}

C-Section 02-16-04 12:42 AM

eminem wasnt the first white rapper

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 12:45 AM

hey.. i dont use this as a gimmick.. i only rap because its how i express my shit.. i dont care if nobody thinks asian rappers are good.. i do it cuz i like it and this thread wont stop me.. lol

Mag... 02-16-04 12:48 AM

no and jin isn't the first asian rapper... im asian and i don't do it for a gimmick... but it might be seen that way... and it might be both a blessin and a curse becuz o dat...

{Peace}

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 12:49 AM

jin wasnt it was the mountain umm thugs i think well.. word to ya.. i dont care what ppl think

Jes 02-16-04 01:19 AM

asians in mainstream maybe the trend for a minute, but like eminem (sp? caring?), only the heads of the same minority (typically) will continue to follow... I'm pretty damn sure everyone thought MnM (whatever) was the tightest fuckermother or at least nodded their head to one of his songs (for the record, i never did) when he first came about. he got old quick being the focal point and emphasis was diverted to his pigmentation rather than ability. he was presumed good because he was white and "made it" in a predominately black industry, he literally was the great white hype, he was all hype, whether he purposely did or not. look at him now, and who his fan base is... 13-15 yr. old caucasians...

I think jin is going to make asians feel more confident and comfortable in the hip hop industry... i mean its an obscurity to see other cultures in mainstream hip hop, practically obselete. but jin wasn't the first asian/islander to make it... Black Eyed Peas has a member, API, who happens to be an Islander (filipino to be precise) and on their last album, he has a song partly in the tagalog dialect (its the national language, for all you dumb ignorant fucks) devoted to being a philippine native. it was only a dope ass song to those that are filipino... i bet others probably skip it on the playlist.

bouncedoggydog 02-16-04 01:26 AM

^ ahhh I always love a good post from Jes, you go girl!

Jes 02-16-04 01:30 AM

hey hey ya know.. gotta stick my foot in other people's shit... can't walk away without leaving a mark... or a scar... whatever

Kosta 02-16-04 02:15 AM

lol @ asians who say "nigga"

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 02:17 AM

yet they get away with it... nigga nigga nigga..... now whites.. a different story..

Mag... 02-16-04 02:18 AM

does anyone elses screen get fucked when tilleyedie posts?

Mr.Christensen 02-16-04 02:22 AM

Besides Jin what other asian rappers are around?

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 02:22 AM

me!.. im dope........................ i wish

Kosta 02-16-04 02:25 AM

hey stupid ass, white people did infamize the word.

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 02:26 AM

:laugh: word...
they did didnt they.. well they still get dirty looks while asians get smiles
:laugh:

Jes 02-16-04 02:40 AM

anyone saying nigga should get dirty looks...

to answer your ? realist... there aren't alot... there are a number of underground groups that are islander or asian but not in mainstream, the ones who are, are in the background somewhere

Lethargic 02-16-04 03:13 AM

^You're totally wrong about Eminem. Em still carries a huge fan base from all races and ages. I don't feel like posting large novels about it though. If you disagree with me.

AIM: LuciLethKru

HK The Great 02-16-04 03:34 AM

jin was tight when he freestyled but as for now everything ive heard from him is fuckin stupid... its only tight cuz its something new... people got tired of gangsta rap so they go to whiteass hicks rappin they moms and shit, now its chicken fried rice wit duplins in ur mouth... itll get old and played fuckin fast... and as for asians, they need to not say nigga... ever... u sound foolish and fuckin retarded...

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 03:37 AM

nigga.. i love you newayz.. fight me now!!!
all the black ppl at muh school couldnt care less.. even tho we prolly kick they're ass but heh im neutral newayz

HK The Great 02-16-04 03:47 AM

haha i wouldnt have to fight u cuz i jus shoot u in the face... but anyways... like i said... u do realize ur an embarrassment to ur race?? cuz u claim asian pride yet u dont call urself a chink or china man... ur call ur self by a term used to classify a different race... and if u were to ever say the nigga and not be black in the eastside of my town id feel real sorry for u especially if u tried to fight back instead of run...

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 03:48 AM

too bad ya dumbass.. Chink is for the chinese.. china man.. for the chinese.. i call myself a JAP.. and trust me.. i dont care for the word.. im just saying that nobody even cares..

HK The Great 02-16-04 03:52 AM

i could give a fuck less if ur from indonesia and call yourself a kneejah, and i just used those shits as a example... and trust me... u dont know everybody so dont use such a broad term or ill have to embarrass u

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 03:54 AM

I Love You Hard Core Your So Smart

wogzta 02-16-04 03:55 AM

^ i agree, no one should call themselves something theyre not.

I dont know if Asian rappers will become a gimmick, but I dont care to be honest. If they're good, they'll get playtime on my cd player, if they suck, they wont.

Simple.

HK The Great 02-16-04 03:58 AM

^^^ Word and as for Till I Die, i bet u only started to think about rap when u were switchin up the chanels and saw a lil dude wit slanted eyes rappin huh?

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 04:01 AM

actually.. yes.. how did you guess? .. and what.. didnt somone influence you?

Soul-Full 02-16-04 04:05 AM

This thread is rediculous.

HK The Great 02-16-04 04:09 AM

sure they did... not that i know who they are, i just heard a beat and lyrics and thought it was fuckin the best thing in the world so i tried to listen to anykind of rap...when, what i get from u so far, is SAW someone like u, and tried to be cool infront of ur friends cuz u think u can rap too

edit: and just cuz im in the mood and this rarley happens, lets battle right quick and what not

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 04:11 AM

nahh your rong.. i was influenced at the time becaus i wrote poetry.. and i didnt wanna do that my friend showed me jin and i thought that was the best way of using my poetic skills.. plus i liked it alot.. juss a lesson for ya

Soul-Full 02-16-04 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarDKor3
^^^ Word and as for Till I Die, i bet u only started to think about rap when u were switchin up the chanels and saw a lil dude wit slanted eyes rappin huh?

wow, this kids fucking brilliant.

swear RB is pathetic at times

HK The Great 02-16-04 04:14 AM

"and i didnt wanna do that my showed me jin "???? WTF???

then dont say shit... everyone complains about people talkin bout dumbshit, yet they post dumb shit critizing people for sayin dumbshit... dumbshit...

Mag... 02-16-04 04:18 AM

hardcore's got it a bit twisted... sure it's cool to be inspired by the music, but that doesn't mean that iconic role models arent' important...

hip hop and rap was founded on the ideals that young black americans could do somthing powerful and creative... and those young black americans saw what was possible and the culture grew...

if i saw an asian rapper and was inspired by the image of the oriental then am i not doin the same thing...

{Peace}

p.s. i got into rap through beatboxin after i saw a rahzel show...

Soul-Full 02-16-04 04:25 AM

honestlly, who cares how anyone got into rap, except for yourself. Fuck do i care why eminem got into rap? Fuck do i care why nas got into rap. If the culture is growing, expanding, etc. Then no one should be complaining. Shit started off where if you sold 100,000 copies of a cd you were considered amazing, and its now at the point where gold (500,000) inst good enough. Black, white, Brown, green.....Who cares, good music is good music. If jin makes music i feel, i feel it. If common makes good music i feel, i feel it. If em makes good music, i feel it. So what if someone was inspired by an asian rapper, whats wrong with that?

some threads are just pointless.

HK The Great 02-16-04 04:36 AM

thats cool and i understand that and thats how it is and ur right and everything...the thing is its a gimmick, so if that foo flops and never shows face again, what im sayin is are u still gonna try to rap, or is it a faze ur goin thru or something... check it... jin aint new at all.... so u had to have known about rap before him... well u said u didnt wanna rap but then u heard about a asian rapper, so then it was like " hey hes asian, that means i can do it to" or something of that nature, so it seems like ur only do it cuz u heard an asian rapper does it... which makes it a gimmick...

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 04:37 AM

actually i liked snoop dogg when i was about 4 or 5.. didnt understand it but i danced to it..

Soul-Full 02-16-04 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarDKor3
" hey hes asian, that means i can do it to" or something of that nature, so it seems like ur only do it cuz u heard an asian rapper does it... which makes it a gimmick...

No that doesnt make it a gimmick you monkey...please refer to dictionary.com and look up gimmick.

If you was 5'8" and you played ball somewhat. Then u seen spud webb or earl boykins standing at like 5'6", and was like..damn if he can play then i can play, and u look up to him...does that mean short people in the NBA are a gimmick..lmfao...no

If your saying that jin is ONLY rapping because he is asian and they are trying to make money off of that fact solely, and he truley does not have talent, THEN that makes him a gimmick.

getting facts/defentions straight before entering into discussions is always recommended.

one

Mag... 02-16-04 04:52 AM

soulful is bang on... we aren't talkin about gimmicks anymore... but the point is asian rappers aren't really a growing trend so much as hip hop is becoming a very multiculturally diverse platform for artists...

that's why i love rap so much, doesn't matter who you are you can convey a message... someday there will only be one race, the human race, and we will all listen to hip hop and share ideas through it's artform...

{Peace}