RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   wow at mtv knowing nothing about hiphop (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=226284)

locknes 04-11-06 05:14 PM

wow at mtv knowing nothing about hiphop

them making a top 10 list of mcs wow they said big pun wasnt as good as ll cool j

heres the link

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_...es/index2.jhtml

Riley Freeman 04-11-06 05:17 PM

OMG NOT BIG PUN NIGGA!!!!!!!! ..... son

L. Veracity 04-11-06 05:21 PM

MTV doesn't know shit about anything, look at who's videos they play and who's videos they don't play...but to me, it's not about Big Pun not being as good, LL cool J has had a consistent careerand been commercially successful each time he has come out with an album...lyrically he's pretty much "nothing" far as I'm concerned but in the grand scheme of things he probably is all-around one of the best "rappers" ever, he's just not a great "lyriccist" so they are at least somewhat correct

besides, this is a commercial source
you can't take what they say as the Hip Hop gospel

Immense 04-11-06 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU...
MTV doesn't know shit about anything, look at who's videos they play and who's videos they don't play...but to me, it's not about Big Pun not being as good, LL cool J has had a consistent careerand been commercially successful each time he has come out with an album...lyrically he's pretty much "nothing" far as I'm concerned but in the grand scheme of things he probably is all-around one of the best "rappers" ever, he's just not a great "lyriccist" so they are at least somewhat correct

besides, this is a commercial source
you can't take what they say as the Hip Hop gospel

exactly...i think they just rank things like this on success and shit.if we was talkin lyrically then it would be a different list completely.

∆ P E X X 04-11-06 05:27 PM

They got KRS, Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. If they put Kool G Rap in it, that'd be the 4 original rappers that fathered everybody's style, I don't care WHO you are.

Pun is in the Honorable mentions.

BTW LL over the last 10 years has been horrendously wack but LL in the 80's was like Jay Z is today. He battled all the legends at the time too, and EEVEERRRRRYYYYbody was bumpin his shit coast to coast.
And Pun is beyond that? Nah man, you gotta pay respects.

locknes 04-11-06 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immense
exactly...i think they just rank things like this on success and shit.if we was talkin lyrically then it would be a different list completely.

yeah that exaclty why they dont know shit

locknes 04-11-06 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexx
They got KRS, Rakim and Big Daddy Kane. If they put Kool G Rap in it, that'd be the 4 original rappers that fathered everybody's style, I don't care WHO you are.

Pun is in the Honorable mentions.

you forgot slick rick but yeah i just have a problem wit them picking
ll cool j over big pun he was one of the greats

locknes 04-11-06 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMPIN aint easy
i guarentee

number 3 jay-z
number 2 biggie
number 1 tupac

yeah when they even said that jay-z bit nas' style

∆ P E X X 04-11-06 05:33 PM

WARNING: This list has nothing to do with sales!!!

if it did, Rakim wouldnt' be on it, nor would Nas, or KRS.

locknes 04-11-06 05:36 PM

Quote:
WARNING: This list has nothing to do with sales!!!

if it did, Rakim wouldnt' be on it, nor would Nas, or KRS.

but why are the top 3 all selling machines

∆ P E X X 04-11-06 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknes
but why are the top 3 all selling machines

^^Where's it say who the top 3 is?

That list goes up to 4th.

locknes 04-11-06 05:44 PM

Quote:
^^Where's it say who the top 3 is?

That list goes up to 4th.

but we all know who the top 3 are gonna be jay-z biggie tupac

∆ P E X X 04-11-06 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locknes
but we all know who the top 3 are gonna be jay-z biggie tupac

you never know son. It's likely as hell, but even still that could be due to their sheer influence in the "rap" industry, not record sales.

If it were based on Sales, 50 would be kicking either pac, jay, or bigge out of that list, and we all know that ain't happening.

With a low-selling artist like Rakim as 4th, anything's possible.

Mentor 04-11-06 06:08 PM

Quote:
you never know son. It's likely as hell, but even still that could be due to their sheer influence in the "rap" industry, not record sales.

If it were based on Sales, 50 would be kicking either pac, jay, or bigge out of that list, and we all know that ain't happening.

With a low-selling artist like Rakim as 4th, anything's possible.

actually 50 be in 2nd place pac be in first....yea i know how 50 sold 11 million copies of get rich or die trying just by itself...
but really 2pac holds the record as the greatest selling hip hop figure of all time...if he was alive today he'd be the richest rapper living..unless that take away the influence his death made :(