RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Audio Assistance (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Apexx - Compression :( (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=231522)

Ca'lam 07-12-06 02:50 AM

Apexx - Compression :(

sup duke,

im gettig pissed off.. ok check it, i've been fuckin around with mixing and shit for a while now. and i used to be really good at before i stopped for about a year.

and i forgot what setting in my cool edit compressor makes all the p's , g's , d's, b's, and so on and so forth stand out more.

was wondering if you wanted to PM me some settings to use for my compressor or you wanted to post em here or w/e. but this is some shit i really must know hehe.

dopeness :)

∆ P E X X 07-12-06 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca'lam
sup duke,

im gettig pissed off.. ok check it, i've been fuckin around with mixing and shit for a while now. and i used to be really good at before i stopped for about a year.

and i forgot what setting in my cool edit compressor makes all the p's , g's , d's, b's, and so on and so forth stand out more.

was wondering if you wanted to PM me some settings to use for my compressor or you wanted to post em here or w/e. but this is some shit i really must know hehe.

dopeness :)

ahh i love thereads like this. the setting you're looking you play with are your mids and highs. Especially the highs, they'll make those sounds pop real quick and easy. This is all EQing, compression's a little different.

Compressor levels our your vocal volume by turning your high vols down, and your low vols up. EQing is what makes those sounds sound clearer or dimmer at any volume.

lemme know how it turns out!!

Ca'lam 07-12-06 07:22 PM

woa. thats the first time iv heard that. now im realy confused. you hoe lol. you just flipped my mixing world COMPLETELY around. ok i was just playing but for real.

so not only do i need to EQ my verse to make it stand out, but i need to EQ it MORE to make my consinents come out more ? (wow - i suck at spelling)

i yigh yigh

you helped me out, but now im just a smarter confused person :(

your mixing knowledge makes me happy ^_^

∆ P E X X 07-12-06 09:40 PM

^^lmao lets lift this veil of consfusion my dude.

EQing is what seperates the boys from the men. This is where you change the character and texture of everything you say. EQing is why engineers get paid the huge bucks. It's not the most important part of the track. It IS the track!! So yes, absolutely, everyone needs to EQ. You'd be a fool not to. It's a more important step than recording the vocals.

Compression is going to make all the volumes even, or rather - more even. Most average users won't use compression much because for the most part you unconciously do this with naturally while you record. There's a whole lot of sweet sound hidden in compression too, compression makes some well EQ'd vocals sound absolutely superhuman. There's an art to it, just like EQing, but till feel you maxed out your EQing skills, don't lose sleep over it.

..so basically - stick to EQing!!

Ca'lam 07-13-06 12:33 AM

okie doke. i see. so ima EQ my track THEN ima compress it so that i have SUPER HUMAN VOCAL SKILLS!!! it ala makes sense now -__-.

lol just kidding.

aight i feel you.
Summary - compression just brings up the lower parts and takees down the higher parts to a nice even level. sometimes it gives my vocals warmth also. but i was tryna use it for the wrong reason.
i think i gotchu.

another question then im done. since i use cool edit, how should i use the EQ options. should i EQ the track or the actual vocals.

Track Equalizer Vs. Presets in like graphic EQ & Parametric EQ

∆ P E X X 07-13-06 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca'lam
okie doke. i see. so ima EQ my track THEN ima compress it so that i have SUPER HUMAN VOCAL SKILLS!!! it ala makes sense now -__-.

lol just kidding.

hahaha, hey, your results may vary lol.

Quote:
aight i feel you.
Summary - compression just brings up the lower parts and takees down the higher parts to a nice even level. sometimes it gives my vocals warmth also. but i was tryna use it for the wrong reason.
i think i gotchu.

yup, absolutely right, compression does add warmth by virtue of turning up your naturally warm parts. :thumbup:

Quote:
another question then im done. since i use cool edit, how should i use the EQ options. should i EQ the track or the actual vocals.

Track Equalizer Vs. Presets in like graphic EQ & Parametric EQ

I'll answer for any program in general since thy all do the same things in different ways. I actually use both a parametric EQ and a track-wide EQ. I use the track EQ first to get me in the area of where I need to be then use the parametric EQ to fine tune it. Play with them each from there as needed to get to the sweet spot.

Good question and a good thread.

got me wantin to play with my presets some more..