RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   How much do small labels pay? (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=227245)

Logic The Goonie 04-26-06 10:44 PM

How much do small labels pay?

I know this is kind of an herbish question but I really want to know some good answers. From Apexx especially.

I've heard some people say like a G a month and some guy at my school was talkin about 2 G's a week. =/ So basically, how much is a realistic amount of money you'll be getting while signed with a small label?

KOOL COL-B 04-26-06 11:10 PM

3 goats and a sack of wheat, werd

a k w o r d Z 04-27-06 12:06 AM

it has alot of variables man.... there's no salary in rappin. it depends on what percentage of profits you're getting and how much gross income you're generating for the label though shows, merchandise, and record sales.

i'd go into further detail but i'm lazy, so i'd rather have someone else lol

La Cosa Nostra 04-27-06 12:12 AM

Small independant label?

Lmao.........They'll pay you to make your cd........'

I mean.... Do indie labels even pay an advance?

∆ P E X X 04-27-06 12:15 AM

probably about nothing.

labels don't issue pay checks. As an artist, the only way you'd be getting any regular pay is from doing shows on a regular basis.

The benefit to small labels is a way bigger piece of the "pie" on your CD and/or more creative control.

Pay scale:

Major Label: about 12-15¢ on every CD sold.
Small Label: about 35-50¢ on every CD sold.
Independant Label: about $3 to $7 on every CD sold.

on average.

make no mistake. nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the industry is "standard". There's no "standard" contract, no "standart" pay, anything.

yay.

Logic The Goonie 04-27-06 12:40 AM

Oh, ok. Niggas be makin it sound like they gettin paid for being there and shit. *shrugs*

∆ P E X X 04-27-06 12:57 AM

Probably to make it seem like they're not broke or on the shelf. The only way they'd be getting paid consistently every week is if they're payroll like on a street team, you know, driving a van with someone elses face splashed across it (called "wrapped").

and street teams don't get paid anything near that grand a week lol. they're lucky to see a grand a month.

Chris Stylez 04-27-06 01:13 AM

Yeah. With my so called mixtape circuit that om tryna upgrade to professional. I sell about 150 to 200 Cd's a month off just one mixtape i make selling them for 5 dollars a peice with 20 tracks on them. And I still only make like from 750 to a 1000 a month for one mixtape. I still make more money off that mixtape if people late wanna buy em thats just what i averagely get from them. Best thing I can tell any one to do is just stay focus and keep rapping and if you wanna sell them sell ya own shit and hustle ya CD hard and have plans in life for other things than rapping. But trust me that money aint shit when you got expenses. Thats gonna be my small income when i get my own place and shit.

~1~

SerB 04-27-06 01:14 AM

You dont get shit.

Like i mean shit, all you get is free studio time.

when you seel records later on they take a huge profit from you. how it works.

labels are sorta like loans in a way, get your shit started.

a k w o r d Z 04-27-06 01:27 AM

http://www.rapcointelpro.com/

^^^^^
everything you need to know.

∆ P E X X 04-27-06 02:11 AM

^^doesn't answer the question, but dope link regardless :thumbup:

∆ P E X X 04-27-06 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stylez
Yeah. With my so called mixtape circuit that om tryna upgrade to professional. I sell about 150 to 200 Cd's a month off just one mixtape i make selling them for 5 dollars a peice with 20 tracks on them. And I still only make like from 750 to a 1000 a month for one mixtape. I still make more money off that mixtape if people late wanna buy em thats just what i averagely get from them. Best thing I can tell any one to do is just stay focus and keep rapping and if you wanna sell them sell ya own shit and hustle ya CD hard and have plans in life for other things than rapping. But trust me that money aint shit when you got expenses. Thats gonna be my small income when i get my own place and shit.

~1~

you have a mixtape out? how come I never seen any music on here just text? no pics of covers, nothin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug Life
You dont get shit.

Like i mean shit, all you get is free studio time.

when you seel records later on they take a huge profit from you. how it works.

labels are sorta like loans in a way, get your shit started.

what? free studio time? labels are like loans? sell records and later they take a huge profit from you? lol, I get the feelin you don't know what you're really sayin man lol

That'd be the most backwards label I ever heard of lol

Ebircs 04-27-06 02:43 AM

^^^^^^ ho-ly crap these kids are gayer them i suspected....witch is NOT ez.......

∆ P E X X 04-27-06 02:58 AM

lmao, livin the thug life son....

C.March 04-27-06 10:26 AM

I'd think smaller labels = smaller pay.....

Sure ur gonna make more per cd... but you're not gonna sell as many as a major label artists with large promotion and all that crap...

then again I know next to shit about labels... I prefer the indie style myself... My Music.. bitch My money :-) haha but yeah...