RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Asian Emcees: The Next Gimmick? (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=114581)

Mag... 02-15-04 11:48 PM

Asian Emcees: The Next Gimmick?

So what is it guys?

Oriental Gimmick, Legitimate Contenders, or "Who Gives a Shit!?"

inspire 02-15-04 11:50 PM

^Nope, not the next trend.

Oakley 02-15-04 11:51 PM

i agree....
not happening...

Mag... 02-16-04 12:32 AM

yea but would y'all have said that about white rappers before eminem revived the great hope??

{Peace}

C-Section 02-16-04 12:42 AM

eminem wasnt the first white rapper

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 12:45 AM

hey.. i dont use this as a gimmick.. i only rap because its how i express my shit.. i dont care if nobody thinks asian rappers are good.. i do it cuz i like it and this thread wont stop me.. lol

Mag... 02-16-04 12:48 AM

no and jin isn't the first asian rapper... im asian and i don't do it for a gimmick... but it might be seen that way... and it might be both a blessin and a curse becuz o dat...

{Peace}

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 12:49 AM

jin wasnt it was the mountain umm thugs i think well.. word to ya.. i dont care what ppl think

Jes 02-16-04 01:19 AM

asians in mainstream maybe the trend for a minute, but like eminem (sp? caring?), only the heads of the same minority (typically) will continue to follow... I'm pretty damn sure everyone thought MnM (whatever) was the tightest fuckermother or at least nodded their head to one of his songs (for the record, i never did) when he first came about. he got old quick being the focal point and emphasis was diverted to his pigmentation rather than ability. he was presumed good because he was white and "made it" in a predominately black industry, he literally was the great white hype, he was all hype, whether he purposely did or not. look at him now, and who his fan base is... 13-15 yr. old caucasians...

I think jin is going to make asians feel more confident and comfortable in the hip hop industry... i mean its an obscurity to see other cultures in mainstream hip hop, practically obselete. but jin wasn't the first asian/islander to make it... Black Eyed Peas has a member, API, who happens to be an Islander (filipino to be precise) and on their last album, he has a song partly in the tagalog dialect (its the national language, for all you dumb ignorant fucks) devoted to being a philippine native. it was only a dope ass song to those that are filipino... i bet others probably skip it on the playlist.

bouncedoggydog 02-16-04 01:26 AM

^ ahhh I always love a good post from Jes, you go girl!

Jes 02-16-04 01:30 AM

hey hey ya know.. gotta stick my foot in other people's shit... can't walk away without leaving a mark... or a scar... whatever

Kosta 02-16-04 02:15 AM

lol @ asians who say "nigga"

TiLLEyEDiE 02-16-04 02:17 AM

yet they get away with it... nigga nigga nigga..... now whites.. a different story..

Mag... 02-16-04 02:18 AM

does anyone elses screen get fucked when tilleyedie posts?

Mr.Christensen 02-16-04 02:22 AM

Besides Jin what other asian rappers are around?