RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Hip-Hop Talk Archives (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Jay-z's 99 problems video (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=123515)

aniles 05-10-04 08:21 PM

Jay-z's 99 problems video

Jay-Z says that his video represents the ending of one career and the start of a new one. I think that we will see a very different Jay-Z from what we are accustomed. We usually see the "big pimpin" Jay-Z, but now we are about to see the "conscious" Jay-Z. In his "99 problems" video, Jay-Z tries to present an authentic picture of inner-city life. Through his lyrics and his visual images, jay-z shows those in mainstream society the pain and struggles that the black community, especially black men, experience in America. He represents those who are often ignored, neglected, and silenced. With their being so much police brutality in this country, I can understand why he chooses to get shot multiple times at the end of the video. It seems to me that he wants to show Americans that he relates to the struggles that his brothers face. That he is no different from them. No matter how much money he has, he's still a black man in this racist country. Matter fact, if it wasn't for hip-hop, he probably would be in jail, selling drugs, or dead. He's even admitted this. Let's face it, the federal and local goverments continue to make it difficult for black men to succeed. It's sad that the basketball court seems like the only place where black men dominate. I know some would disagree with me, thinking that because we live in a democratic country, the land of the free and the home of the brave, there is no excuse for black men not advancing politically, educationally, and economically. Yes, there are more opportunities for black men to move ahead. But unfortunately, many of our black men are locked up behind bars or on the streets slingling. We have some brothers who have paid their debt to society, but cannot vote or find a decent job because they have a felony on their record. Now, who should we hold accountable for this? Schools in the inner-cities are underfunded. Most black boys are discouraged from learning, often being placed in special education classes. Many teachers just don't give a damn. We are to blame in part, because we are allowing these conditions to continue.

Back to Jay-Z's video, I feel like Jay-Z is trying to represent reality, as opposed to fantasy. The scene in which the group of black men, dressed in all black, step in unity, reminds me of a fraternity. When these black men end their stepping routine by extending their arm, showing their closed fists, I am reminded of the Black Panther Party ( who usually dressed in black berets, black outfits, and guns) and the Black Power movement. Matter of fact, black and latino youth in the Bronx gave birth to hip-hop in the mid 1970's when the Black Panther Party was dying out, owing to their contradictions, infighting, as well as the goverment's political pressure, jailings, and murders of Panthers.

northphillykilla 05-10-04 08:53 PM

damn aniles who r u Colin powell

damn nigga but i like the video

Optimal 05-10-04 09:02 PM

yea that shit was tight

K-Trin 05-10-04 09:03 PM

Yeah,I understand the meaning of the video....but does the song fit it?

"I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"
"If ya having girl problems I feel bad for ya son"
^^ Now how does these lines fit with black struggles?
Those lines are more like one you'd put in a video where Jay-Z goes for a girl.

aniles 05-10-04 09:36 PM

reply to ktrini

I like your observation. Yes, I agree. At first glance, it seems like those two lines don't go with the rest of the song. Why is he calling women bitches, when his song never really talks about women? Well, firstly, I think he's drawing attention to the fact that there are many problems and issues he must face as a black man, but at least he doesn't have to put up with a woman who acts like a bitch. A man that has a woman who often acts like a bitch, doesn't have a woman who understands him and stands by his side." But, then again, we must ask ourselves how is Jay-Z defining the word "bitch." I have Jay-Z's "Black Album" and towards the end he actually says, "I got 99 problems, but being a bitch ain't one." This word has so many connotations.

MoTiF 05-10-04 10:07 PM

its a good Video i like old school beatz so i like the song also.

Crossword 05-10-04 11:09 PM

..I think he's saying that so many people are complaining about girl problems... when there are so many worse problems they should be worried about.

Sean.C 05-10-04 11:36 PM

^^^yup like black struggles!!!!

aniles 05-11-04 02:30 AM

Jay-Z's interview with Jacque Reid

Did anyone see Jay-Z's interview with Jacque Reid on Bet Nightly News. I fell asleep before I could hear him talk about the meaning of the "99 problems" video.

aniles 05-11-04 02:34 AM

Liquor of Tears,

I totally agree with you.

aniles

:) 05-11-04 03:03 AM

that video is one of the nicest videos ive ever seen

:) 05-11-04 03:08 AM

lol at liquior of tears..the video has nothing to do with women dumbass

Lyriclesolja 05-11-04 04:22 AM

Yo i was feelin that video i liked that symbalism when he got shot to end his career
to me symbalism is tight if a person sees one thing but in reality it means two things and makes the viewer think thats dope!

For$akeN 05-11-04 01:05 PM

tha end was tight he just got shot but in most videos that
happens but the video was cool

tha ghost 05-11-04 03:16 PM

Love the video. Shows projects n shit. i grew up on the project block. Finally someone at the top reppin fo the projex! Best video(cep fo the gay ass guitar sounds in the beat)!!