RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   Poets vs. Rappers (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=153795)

selah david 10-06-04 06:07 PM

Poets vs. Rappers

I have been a poet since 7th grade. I tried rapping a few times but I could never freestyle so I left it alone. Then when I bought the black album last year, Jay-Z made me want to rap again. I stayed with it for about a month which is the longest i've ever stayed with it, but I realized that it just wasn't for me. I was my very best as a poet. The only thing that disappoints me is, poets will never garner as much respect as rappers. Poets (paricularly males) are often looked at as gay, feminine, wanna be revolutionaries and wanna be rappers. We are viewed as flighty arrogant and very critical of rappers. We are basically thought of as haters. The only image of us that is slightly positive is Def Poetry Jam. I am a great poet. And I am an emcee in the respect that true lyricists are poets when you take away the music. But my question to you is what do u think about poets, and them supposedly living in the shadow of rappers. Is one better than the other? I personally like listening to rap better than going to open mics, because I feel rappers are more authentic sometimes, but what do u think?

~1~

Ice Pick 10-06-04 06:09 PM

I do poetry

sombody calls me gay and their getting their fuckin Mug kicked in

System Crasher 10-06-04 06:13 PM

I do poetry too.... i like people who do poetry... its pretty kool..... butr5 i am mroe into rap...

Compose 10-06-04 06:20 PM

i like poetry but i only rap now, i should start writin poems more and get into it, it seems good.....

Incineratedrose 10-06-04 06:23 PM

i do poetry i like the emotion one can put into it.

Parallel 10-06-04 06:35 PM

i do poetry but only if its for gurls... and yes i would merk system crasher he is a faggot..

Abraxas 10-06-04 06:38 PM

WTF.. hell nah... rappers are way better... poets cant even diss.. but yea rapping is better though i find poetry interesting................

selah david 10-06-04 06:44 PM

So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramik
WTF.. hell nah... rappers are way better... poets cant even diss.. but yea rapping is better though i find poetry interesting................

SO dissing is more important to you in rapping than anything else?

Abraxas 10-06-04 06:45 PM

nah... ummm....
i like making topicals.. but its kinda like poetry.. i jkuss dont find poetry that fun.....

50Cal. 10-06-04 06:47 PM

i do poetry but as you can see my poetry battle is still up with valor its not really respected id much rather rap but poetry is good to release emotion and built vocab :thumbup:

selah david 10-06-04 06:48 PM

But...

Quote:
nah... ummm....
i like making topicals.. but its kinda like poetry.. i jkuss dont find poetry that fun.....

But bullshit rappers make the most fun music. Actually I'm learning to appreciate all the spectrums of hip hop but thats a whole 'notha thread...

Abraxas 10-06-04 06:50 PM

yup.. you rite topicals or you only do poetry???

selah david 10-06-04 07:07 PM

Quote:
yup.. you rite topicals or you only do poetry???

See I get confused when yall say stuff like that, cuz all of my poetry has a topic to it. So I guess yes and no becuz all I do is write poetry, and songs (for vocalist, not rappers) but I do come up with conceptuals for my friends who are rappers, but they usually have some kind of vocal element to them.

La Cosa Nostra 10-06-04 07:11 PM

I do topicals. But I will be relesing a Poetry peice on this site probably tonight.

I like Poetry that flows and rhymes. But what seperates it from rapping is the diversity of structures that are available. However rapping is 10 times better then Poetry IMO.

distilled 10-06-04 07:56 PM

I prefer Rap, but theres nothing wrong with most poetry, I mean, Poetry can become much deeper and more emotional Namsayin, but Rap is better

Blah