RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   The Cerebral Approach (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=352)
-   -   What is Rap? (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=196822)

Sean Gunner 06-25-05 06:00 PM

What is Rap?

Not the dictionary definition, but what is it to you? I was talking to my friend yesterday, and he was playing 50 Cent. I'm like, "Man cut that gay shit off" So he asks why I hate 50 cent. Well I told him how his lyrics were shit and all it is is talking bout being gangster and doing hos. And my friend goes, well, that's all rap is.

I was left speechless. I knew people thought bout rap like that, but not that that people think rap is only bout that. I couldn't explain it because it was like 12:30 at night, so I let it go. But it made me think about how far rap has gone from it's roots of lyrics, and turned into image and beats.

Daubs 06-25-05 06:02 PM

Rap can be expressed for every mood, for example ti bring em out is happy and bangin, but nas-one mic is more emotional and deep.

Both have its good points.

Sean Gunner 06-25-05 07:39 PM

But, to think that it is only about beats and hooks just kills me. At least, when Tupac was rapping bout gangs, his lyrics were good. I wish, 50 Cent would have never rapped. Go ruin rock you bastard.

Adam 06-25-05 07:42 PM

What is rap? baby don't hurt me....don't hurt me....no more..

~*Khatharsis*~ 06-25-05 07:57 PM

www.daveyd.com peep

WhoAmI 06-25-05 08:22 PM

rap is about having something to say
its about putting your point across in a lyrical way

it don't matter whether your point is the inhumanities in the world, or simply just smokin weed and fuckin chicks.

as long as you gettin your puttin whatever point across it can be considered rap.

i know there may be some flaws in my personal definition of rap but bear with me cos my ass is tired ya feel me.

Lyriclesolja 06-25-05 09:37 PM

Simple A Form Of Expression..

~sokaris~ 06-25-05 11:29 PM

simplest way to see this.... www.daveyd.com

K-Trini 06-26-05 08:20 PM

Rap is peotry with a beat.Rap has to flow.Poetry doesn't.

Pisces 06-27-05 06:44 AM

Rap is a musical manifestation of da hip hop lifestyle. cos of its musical nature it has certain forms,dats where ryming,wordplay "n" others come in. Anything dat lacks these basic laws is considered garbage! Rap is a reflection of d hip hop mind, either its fuckin chicks or oppression,thru these above set down laws. Although to be quite innovative one must add to this laws a certain "sumthing" dat makes the rapper unique.

Payn 06-27-05 07:45 PM

rap 2 me means an attitude, mood, lifestyle, & a b'in of a very life of existence

Keith Moon 07-05-05 02:19 PM

A genre of music...duh!

lyrickz 07-05-05 04:21 PM

dont try to over anaylze it or complicate it. rap is rap. it's putting words to music without neccesarily singing them. Ususally accopanied by a track that has a emphasis on percussion. Rap is what it is. we all know what it is. You cant define rap by the content of the message, cause it evelopes all messages. From crappy garbage like guns and hoes, to consious concern like politics and living conditions.
i agree that 50 raps about the same crap 90% of the other mainstream rap about. but apparently, yall like it, cuz the radio and tv only plays what makes money. And rappers with a real message rarely get airtime

Sean Gunner 07-05-05 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Rap originated from early hip-hop acts like Kool DJ Herc, the DJ's eventualy had MCs but over some years the MC took the limelight from the DJ.

An early MC called Busy Bee battled but really rocked the audience better than his opponent which made the crowd reaction more loud. One day at a tournment Busy Bee won everyone...until an MC called Kool Moe Dee got up on the stage as it was called late...so they fitted him in and called Moe Dee out to battle him...Busy done his and the crowd went wild but then Moe Dee filled it with lyrics...Busy rocked the audience by saying whatever he wanted but Moe Dee was more lyrical and put more effective words and alot more lyrics...
...If it wasn't for that battle we wouldn't have the lyrical MC...we would just have people rocking the party

That's an MC...
...but remember a rapper can't rock an audience...an MC can rock the audience and be lyrical

-chief-

But now we have 50 cent being popular, so I guess we are going backwards.

Keith Moon 07-08-05 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
Listen to what i said that's the real reason to rap

I did that to be a smartass...but its aan eaaasy answer

The expressionb of one's self through lyrics and music