RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Hip-Hop Talk Archives (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beats > Lyrics? (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=203983)

Logic The Goonie 08-10-05 10:34 PM

Beats > Lyrics?

I have noticed that in recent times, a lot more emphasis has been put on beats than the actual lyrics, or artist, period.

Honestly, ask yourself: "The thing I hear most about a good song from my mainstream listening friends is what?"

For me, it is "Man, the beat for *insert mainstream song here* is fuckin tight, have you heard it?"

It makes sense really, the new phenomenon of "crunk" music basically consists of beats with 500000 things going on and that override the lyrics WAY more than mot other songs. Then you look at songs that are blatantly saying bad shit about women and they don't give a FUCK, they just want to dance, they don't really pay attention to what the mother fucker is actually saying.

Thoughts?

Thassarap 08-10-05 10:39 PM

i like songs with good beats even if the lyrics arent that good, but im not a fan of crunk music
i can also appreciate good lyrics, and i think that hooks are just as important as beats in modern music

noname 08-10-05 10:45 PM

There's a time for both...there's a time I wanna blast music in my room or sumtin...

then I go to beats and hook...aka..G-unit/50

Then when I'm chillin with a CD player or something...then I turn to music with lyrics(canibus,talib...etc.)

But mostly it's lyrics...but there's a time for both.

PhreeNapdizzle 08-10-05 11:02 PM

to me, lyrics overide the music (in rap).. in n e other type of music.. im more of an instrumental listener like reggae, etc. Tight beats only make good written songs better..

Elegiac 08-10-05 11:04 PM

Mainstream = Beats
Underground = Both

MC Firetruck 08-10-05 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Girls
My favorite rapper is 50 Cents cuz his beats are soo tight!

It's either that, or...
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Girls
Talib Kooley or watever his name is, he needs to shut up. Why's he always talking about important stuff? He should keep his opinions to himself, 'cuz the only good rap music is the ones that make you wanna dance, and you can learn the words real easy. Ooh, diet Sprite!

La Cosa Nostra 08-11-05 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I have noticed that in recent times, a lot more emphasis has been put on beats than the actual lyrics, or artist, period.

Honestly, ask yourself: "The thing I hear most about a good song from my mainstream listening friends is what?"

For me, it is "Man, the beat for *insert mainstream song here* is fuckin tight, have you heard it?"

It makes sense really, the new phenomenon of "crunk" music basically consists of beats with 500000 things going on and that override the lyrics WAY more than mot other songs. Then you look at songs that are blatantly saying bad shit about women and they don't give a FUCK, they just want to dance, they don't really pay attention to what the mother fucker is actually saying.

Thoughts?

Thats becuase there is a real lack of actual artists in the music industry these days. A lot of people are just idiots that have been given 15 minutes of fame and an ego boost.

Ridicule 08-11-05 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleGiaC
Mainstream = Beats
Underground = Both

Thats true
but it should be a balance of both of them which you then get a dope song lol:D

Journal!st 08-11-05 06:51 AM

^^^werd nigga i agree wit that shgit too man real..............1...

Ridicule 08-11-05 07:21 AM

Yep cuz im ALWAYS right dawg lol!!!!

High Class 08-11-05 11:38 AM

This aint nothin new, its been this way for about 4-5 years now... And its only going to get worse, until there is a change in what people want. And they decide, " I want to here the lyrics..." Hell me personaly, I love to listen to music from the late 80's and early to mid 90's... Shit was hoppin then, the beats and the lyrics. Shit was good, now I just say Fuck It, LoL

Ridicule 08-11-05 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Class
This aint nothin new, its been this way for about 4-5 years now... And its only going to get worse, until there is a change in what people want. And they decide, " I want to here the lyrics..." Hell me personaly, I love to listen to music from the late 80's and early to mid 90's... Shit was hoppin then, the beats and the lyrics. Shit was good, now I just say Fuck It, LoL

Ye dawg i know wot ya mean i was listen to the Chronic yesterday and day now thats shits dope!!!!

The Militant 08-16-05 07:59 PM

to me lyrics are more important but u do need a hot beat so people well listen to what ur spitin

Hitchcock 08-16-05 08:23 PM

^^^ya thats true, i appreciate all types of rap, nah mean. my cd case got all kind of shit in there. but you gotta be realistic.......if you want to make any money you betta holla at those beats. but if you wan to be underrated you prolly a good lyricist lol. or you can be like jayz and dumb ya lyrics down so you can get money and then do w/e the fuck you want. ya feel me