RapVerse.com Community

RapVerse.com Community (http://community.rapverse.com/index.php)
-   Lyricist Lounge (http://community.rapverse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=182)
-   -   To those who perform live or have performed live before... (http://community.rapverse.com/showthread.php?t=240391)

Tha .Q 03-02-07 12:23 PM

To those who perform live or have performed live before...

Do you have any advice for a novice?

My man D.C. is setting up a gig for me in Cali this summer. So, I plan to fly out there for my first show. It's a small outdoor venue. I'll just perform one song or so. So, it won't be a full set.

What's funny is this. My rap persona is like an entirely separate entity from me, Michael. It feels like in order to perform, I have to conjure up that alter-ego to bring what I bring on my tracks. It's the same way when I make a song. The rap part of me feels surreal almost.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Restricted 03-02-07 04:29 PM

^Even though you dislike me, I'll give my advice and you can take it however you want.

Speaking from experience...rap is an image, and you have to have your own image. Don't make up one that is fake because the audience will see right through it. Go up there, be "Tha Q" or whatever your performing name is, get hyped and enjoy your songs and believe in yourself to the fullest. If you show the crowd a good show, they will love you. Some people worry too much about well maybe my lyrics aren't tight enough or maybe I'll look dumb or something...the main thing is Confidence.

You'll do fine, just get your scheme done pat and do your thing. Performing live is the best thing ever. Nervous as shit when you step up, and you feel untouchable afterwards.

Blackmage 03-02-07 04:39 PM

My advice...Feel yourself and show it. If you don't feel yourself, how can you expect anyone else to. Don't worry about whether they feel it or not. Get up there and do your thing. Even if you they're not jumping all over the place remember this one thing, it's what get's me through my not so hype shows. No matter what anyone tells you....YOU OWN THEM.

TitoBronsky 03-02-07 04:47 PM

word .... my Most professional advice would be to get some Liquid Courage before you go on live.... not enough that you feel that you love everybody... or wanna fight the bouncers... but enough that you almost become numb to the nerves.... and you juss wanna rock the stage and party after wards.... you gotta juss believe in yourself.... YOu'll bee nervous as fuck before going on.... like up to the second they call you.... but ... once you get on stage.... im tellin you... all that shit goes out the window.... and your song is all that matters....

G'luck wit that Q... Cali.... WHEN THE FUCK YOU COMIN TO NYC????? Me and Gimmix doin shows all the time!!!! HOlla at me

-Bronsky

Tha .Q 03-02-07 06:07 PM

thanks for the advice fellas

Jay Rose 03-02-07 07:38 PM

my advice is lets fuckin do a show around dc, before you head out to cali to build some confidence.....n get me a show....haha

Tha .Q 03-02-07 07:42 PM

that's actually a good idea...

Status 03-02-07 08:21 PM

The hardest part about doing a show is the few mninutes before you get on stage..... once you get up there you kinda black out(your first time) thats why they say drink before becuase it calms you and pumps you at the same time...you will prolly be nervous untill about half way through the first verse... then before you know it your done.... you should try to ask if you can do 2 songs... becuase when your done with the first one your gonna be siked.. and want to do another because its a big rush...

C.March 03-02-07 09:00 PM

confidence is key.. period... I know its not the same thing as preforming live for music, but for athletics and stuff.... confidence is a key aspect of the game... more confident you are the better you'll do, so I guess it sort of overlaps in a sense...

Dabatos 03-02-07 11:30 PM

Basically be confident as hell. WHen you up there dont be too cocky, but perform like you know your the best. At first you'll be nervous as hell, but once you get up there, all the nervous feelings you have inside will dissapear. Make sure you rock the mic, and dont have the mic too far away from your mouth. Just have fun bro, and g'd luck.

J Summers 03-02-07 11:34 PM

before i did my first show... i talked to hard target and asked him for some tips
hand on the microphone, keep it at the very top but not on the actual mic part,
the crowd is just as nervous as u are, so call them out, make sure involve the crowd, do something with an easy hook so by the end of the track the'll be able to sing those parts, and yeah get yourself a pint of peppermint schnapps, do that u'll be straight

Zone Out 03-02-07 11:40 PM

why would the crowd be nervous when someone else is about to perform!?

Past Tense 03-03-07 12:57 AM

Just relax....thats my advice..dont think about it to much or you'll freeze up

amp yourself up in the bathroom....or have your buddies get you rowled up and u'll be ready to just rock the stage

Tha .Q 03-03-07 12:56 PM

thanks fellas

Jay Rose 03-03-07 01:43 PM

Q, look up some open mic nights around dc....id def be down to hit some up to get both of us used to a live setting