View Single Post
Old 01-04-04, 03:56 PM   #12
Street Fame

IP:

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Audio and text are two completely different things, and mainstream kats are also pressured into the bounds of time limitations. Half of their shit is probably rushed and they spend their time spitting it rather than writing. Anyway, audio format is completely different. Text is less versatile, you stick to basically the same two bar concepts and it allows for witty punches, but rather sucky rhyme schemes.

But when you get onto a beat, forget the bar format and the AB setups. You can spit more complex rhyme schemes, but because of the beat and flow, lyrics come out with less of a "wow" factor.

Lyrically in audio, mainstream kats are fine (except for 50, Ja Rule, Nelly etc). Nas, Jay, Em... I mean not many kats in audio are touching them on the internet.

Banks uses a text style for his audios (AB setups) so he comes with the sick punch lines all the time, but his rhyme scheme is basic as shit. Lyrically i think mainstream is fine... Except for the few kats like Ja lol... I mean he can't even spit a fuckin multi syllable rhyme lol.