Thread: Canada's Dope.
View Single Post
Old 02-16-04, 03:24 PM   #47
Phate
Middle Weight

IP:

Concerning the original post, I can understand how people would think it's stupid to censor a show like the tonight show. However, every coutry has its groups that can cause problems if you piss them off and in Canada the Block Quebecois is one of these groups. Personally I don't think they should take it this seriously, still, if the one of your states had passed a vote to seperate from the rest of the country in the past decade you would probably be cautious about pissing them off too.

Even so, you could draw a comparison between this and the Janet Jackson superbowl uproar which resulted in delayed broadcasts for other evens. I don't agree with it, you may not agree with it, but some moral majority lobbyist have to be appeased. That pressure occurs in every country even though the majority of the population probably doesn't care, even quebec.

As far as Canada not giving America enough respect I would have to agree on a individual level a lot of Canadians go to far when talking about americans as ignorant.
And certainly i would have to say (sorry canuck) that anyone who thinks 911 was planned by Bush is just as ignorant than a Texan who thinks Canadians live in igloos.

However, Politically I would say that America is very well respected and Canada takes the defence issues very seriously. More so now that Paul Martin is in power. Yes, if we were located in another part of the world our military might have to be bigger, however, we are not. We are located in North America and we take part in NATO and UN operations when asked.

I can understand that some Americans felt a little betrayed because we didn't get involved in some conflicts such as Vietnam, or Iraq. But to be quite fair, a lot of Americans didn't agree with going to those wars either. We may not give the US the full respect for the service it does us militarily, however, I don't think Canada gets as much respect for all the wars where we have fought side by side with the US either.

Further, our country does not have unlimited military resources. While we may not have been in Iraq, we were and still are the commanding contingent of forces in Afganistan. The tens of thousands of troops we have commited there free'd up American commitments that helped the Iraq campaign. Certainly our military can be critisised for being underfundered and small in comparison to the US or Britain, but we do a lot more than most countries. How many troops did Mexico send to Iraq?

Anyways, this is a mute point because regardless of our ability to commit military forces, or whether we believed the intellegence materials, we are still allowed to disagree with the US on political decisions. It is our right to decide not to go to war just as it is the United States right to decide not to ratafy kyoto.

While I agree that anti-Bush sentiments in canada are a bit rampant you must remember that our relationship is a double edged sword. You can't say that Canada has a responcibility to do our share concerning North American sercurity issues and then turn around a tell us to butt out when it comes to decisions made by Bush which have a direct effect on these same security issues. Frankly, I think both Canadian and American citizens have taken this issue to far and the political reality is that our countries are still on very good terms when it comes to co-operations on foriegn policy matters.

I agree with Bounce that it's people like Michael Moore (or Rush Linbaugh on the right) that cause the most problems. While both are entertaning, they also spin facts and images to justify their points of view as much as those they condem for doing the so. And no doubt the leftist get more airplay the the right.
<B><font size=4 face="still time"><A href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/21stavenueproductions.htm">21st Ave Productions</A></font></b><font size=5> / </font><b><FONT face=gunplay size=4><a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/knockoutzcru.htm">KnocKOuTz</a></FONT></SIZE></B>

<FONT face="bankgothic md bt" size=4> Exclusive Beats for Qualified MC's</FONT></SIZE>
Send a message via AIM to Phate   Reply With Quote