View Single Post
Old 05-13-04, 04:15 PM   #22
Gunit101
Light Weight

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniles
Jay-Z says that his video represents the ending of one career and the start of a new one. I think that we will see a very different Jay-Z from what we are accustomed. We usually see the "big pimpin" Jay-Z, but now we are about to see the "conscious" Jay-Z. In his "99 problems" video, Jay-Z tries to present an authentic picture of inner-city life. Through his lyrics and his visual images, jay-z shows those in mainstream society the pain and struggles that the black community, especially black men, experience in America. He represents those who are often ignored, neglected, and silenced. With their being so much police brutality in this country, I can understand why he chooses to get shot multiple times at the end of the video. It seems to me that he wants to show Americans that he relates to the struggles that his brothers face. That he is no different from them. No matter how much money he has, he's still a black man in this racist country. Matter fact, if it wasn't for hip-hop, he probably would be in jail, selling drugs, or dead. He's even admitted this. Let's face it, the federal and local goverments continue to make it difficult for black men to succeed. It's sad that the basketball court seems like the only place where black men dominate. I know some would disagree with me, thinking that because we live in a democratic country, the land of the free and the home of the brave, there is no excuse for black men not advancing politically, educationally, and economically. Yes, there are more opportunities for black men to move ahead. But unfortunately, many of our black men our locked up behind bars or on the streets slingling. We have some brothers who have paid their debt to society, but cannot vote or find a decent job because they have a felony on their record. Now, who should we hold accountable for this? Schools in the inner-cities are underfunded. Most black boys are discouraged from learning, often being placed in special education classes. Many teachers just don't give a damn. We are to blame in part, because we are allowing these conditions to continue.

Back to Jay-Z's video, I feel like Jay-Z is trying to represent reality, as opposed to fantasy. The scene in which the group of black men, dressed in all black, step in unity, reminds me of a fraternity. When these black men end their stepping routine by extending their arm, showing their closed fists, I am reminded of the Black Panther Party ( who usually dressed in black berets, black outfits, and guns) and the Black Power movement. Matter of fact, black and latino youth in the Bronx gave birth to hip-hop in the mid 1970's when the Black Panther Party was dying out owing to their contradictions, infighting, as well as the goverment's political pressure, jailings, and murders of panthers.

u are whack man who cares about jay-z