View Single Post
Old 02-03-05, 12:39 PM   #1
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

What do you rap for?

IP:

Aiight its 3am here, I was deciding weather or not to go to sleep because I'm at home for once.. And I got to thinking about the rap game, and more importantly why do we rap? Straight up, the reason I rap is because I feel like I have something to offer, I have a message I got to put into perspective for people. I feel like if I could change the way someone thinks through listening to my words, then I've acomplished something. And I wouldnt be surprised if thats the text book response from most other underground artists.. See in my opinion, thats the exact way an 'artist' should be. Were not here to look cool, and although money is something everyone needs these days; real artists dont rap for money.

But you have to wonder, if underground rappers have their priorities in the right order. Then why is it that the fan rappers, that do it only to look cool and get paid are getting all the attention?

Its simple, people dont give half a shit about your opinions unless your somebody that everyone else wants to know. If you want people to give a fuck about what your saying, you need hype. And to get hype, you need to give people something to talk about. In rap, thats usually whos beefing with who, but surprise surprise, a big chunk of the world doesent really care about some small beef you got with some rappers.. So if you want your influence to spread even further than the rap game, you need to be seen in more situations than just rap. And a lot of mutha fuckas sell out when they get to that stage..

But thats not the only reason underground artists stay underground, theres all sorts of things keeping them down.. Things like ego's swelling too much because they got respect so they think their at the top and deserve the best deals handed to them on a silver platter.. Things like the rap scene these days being full of morons that think if your getting paid like a mainstream artist then your immediatly a wack sellout.. Things like artists rapping for small markets such as rapping about things that only really appeal to underground rap fans or drug addicts (DZK)..

The best thing to do when attempting to go into the music industry is looking at artists that made it big in the past and finding out their secret. Eminem can probably put a big part of his fame down to being able to appeal to a large part of white society in America. Tupac had fans because he related his music to an extremily large part of people in poverty, black communities, 'gangsters' and a group of interlectuals that probably found him fascinating.. lol..

And that leads on to gimmiks, whether their good or bad, they are something people will remember you by. So if you decide to come up on a gimmik, make sure its something that wont get played or hated on.

Iunno though, I'd usually put these type of thoughts into a song, but tonight I'm tired and I cant be bothered writing lyrics.. So there you go..

Discuss..