View Single Post
Old 02-19-05, 11:13 AM   #5
Ca'lam
The Light

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Meth0d
lmoa...........aight what mic do you have, if you have a condensor mic THEN YOU NEED A PRE-AMP.......pop-filters, get rid of that pop sounds when you spit 'p' words and shit, you can make that out of a coat hanger and panty hose.....thats what i did.

so basically if you want a nice home studio you need a mixer, nice soundcard, nice moniters, nice condensor mic, nice pre-amp, nice headphones, ect. and a booth, which can be expensive.(or you can make one out of cardboard )

a cheap one is basically cool edit pro and a 8$ dynamic mic

lol.. he wants it computer based.. with a computer u dont need a mixer...... all a mixer is a pre-amp with equalizer....

aight this is what u need to do man... listen up..

Go to Rapmusic.com and go to there audio help section.... Post a thread telling them what kind of voice u have.. high-mid-low.. they will give u a few mic choices...
But Nice start is the MXL 990.. you can always move up, but you dont want to jump right into a good mic, cause u need practice and shit on taking care of one.. if u break that mic you wont be losing much...

the next step is to get a good pre-amp... BLueTube preamp

your computer IS your mixer, so no mixer is needed...

but you do need a Good soundcard or recording interface... now Me, i have a Both.. it came with a package... the EMU 1820..but theres other ones,.. Less expensive ones.. i just liked that it had a Pre-amp already inside of it.. .. but do some research on your own and find out what u want..

List of what you NEED:
-Mic,Pop Filter, Mic Stand,Recording Place/Studio Foam/Auralex foam
-Pre-amp (pretty much needed for any mic worth using..be it dynamic or Condensor)
-Your Computer is your mixer
and thats all you need.. all the other gidgets and gadgets are up to you

Optional:
-Monitors (they are used to mix your songs..there like speakers cept they let you hear things in your mix that you normally cant evven with 5.1 souround sound or any other reall expensives stero systems... i have one, and i still mix shit in my mixes)

Note: this is just a guide.. im not a professional, and this is just shit that i learned from experience and eing on more productive sites (music wise).. to get even better and professional help, go to rapmusic.com and go to there help forums.. you will learn as much as you can handle to learn there....

But if you jsut want a Startup:
Go to Radio Shack and ask them for there best dynamic mic (prolly 50-70 bucks)..
Then go onthe internet and order a 50 dollar pre-amp from any site... prolly www.sweetwater.com .. they pretty cheap.. then buy two cables.. one going from the mic to the pre-amp.. then one going from the pre-amp to your computer.. you'll need a few adapters to get the plug down to your standard cpu jack of 1/8"..

or if you dont even want to do that..just buy a computer mic, and cool edit and do you...

Proud OYD member again . <------- That is whassup