View Single Post
Old 04-02-05, 08:18 AM   #37
strobe

IP:

I hated school and couldn't wait till I graduated. I think if I dropped out of college in 1999/2000, I would probably be further along doing what I'm doing now. In fact, back in 1999, the internet was still pretty new and making money online isn't as hard as today. But to tell the truth, getting a degree is still worth the time, effort, and lack of sleep.. and freshmen year at college kicks ass! Once you are out there working 9-5, going back to school is a lot harder. You end up finding a girl, then getting married, buying a house, having a kid... so you no longer have the time or money between work, buying diapers, and the mortgage to afford going back and getting a degree.

If you go to the census website, on average a worker with a bachelor's degree earns $51,206 a year compared to $27,915 of someone with a high school diploma. That is almost 2x more money. Your degree might be totally unrelated to what you end up doing in life, but it opens more doors. If you plan to work for a company/someone else, stay in school. It'll pay off in the long run. The 4 extra years in college is nothing compared to the 40 years of your life you'll spend working assuming you retire at 63.