View Single Post
Old 08-19-05, 06:38 PM   #5
Tha Q.
OYD

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomsday
#1, how do you differentiate between that an ambient noise? Mic connectors don't make any sounds at all btw.

#2: no, I'm not speaking in regards to clipping. You can be well far from clip and still have that mean-ass his with that combo I mentioned, os to advise someone that it's a good thing and it'll work out like afar more expensive mic isn't accurate at all.

I'm not going to argue with you Dooms...I'm telling the people what I do...and if they wanna follow that...fine...

and noise can be geenrated from Connections...that's what happened with my mic a week ago...The cable itself was loose, which caused a constant Hum and Drone in my recordings until I tightened it...And you can differentiate between Ambient sound and electronic circuitry noise easily if you have headphones on...It's common sense to Kill all ambient noise that you can...and in cool edit, sudden noises occur as peaks rather than flat, constant waves such as circuitry noise, which is unique to everyone's set up...That's why I couldn't correctly run noise redux on ur vocals using a Noise Profile from my set up...

Also...The levels I record at cause little to no hiss AFTER I run my editing process...it's pretty clear...and these are the levels I suggested for whoever likes the way my shit sounds and want to copy it.

P.S. Antares works well for me...It allows u to change the characteristics of ur Mic such as trebel, bass, tube saturation and all of that...In fact, what it really does it allow u to select mics and settings that bring out your voice more...u gotta play with it.

Cool Edit Clarifies the Noise Redux Issue:

Cool Edit Pro’s Noise Reduction function can dramatically reduce background and general broadband noise with a minimal reduction in signal quality. It can also remove tape hiss, microphone background noise, 60 cycle hum, or any noise that is constant throughout the duration of your waveform.
You can reduce the noise incurred by the sound board's circuitry during recording--just record a second of silence before whatever you want to record and tell the noise reducer to remove the sound of that silence in order to further reduce the noise level by up to 10dB.

^^^Besides what they mention...u can define any sound as "noise" to be technical...My point is, run NOISE REDUX after defining "dead air" as NOISE so your vocals will be clearer.
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote