View Single Post
Old 11-27-05, 09:28 PM   #14
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

IP:

J Gutta: You have good recording manners, but it sounds liek you're recording without a pop filter, which meant there was only so far I could go on this before the "booms" were just out of this world.

Mic: Sony F-V220. This is actually a pretty quiet mic as far as line noise goes, but its easy to tell it's not a condenser. Some EQing adressed a lot of that:

http://acapellauploads.dmusic.com - the difference starts at about 12 seconds in.

What I did:

I turned up the noise gate to 35% of max in order to cut out the extra soudns liek the instrumental from your headphones, various fans, shit liek that. Still kept your vocals clean and clear. The vocal compressor is also up about 35% of max but would have worked at about 20% all the same. Echo and Reverb are about 15% of max each.

The EQing levels, I boosted the low frequencies (aka Bass) 30% to add more thickness to your vocals, added gain to the mids about 60% and cut the treble 20% to take a lot of the sizzle off em from when I opened em up. If that persistant boom werent' on it, I could have turned the bass up some more which would have REALLY brought out your voice. Definitely not a bad job for a dynamic mic, but once you get that boom out of your vocals there's room for a lot more warmth still which is saying a lot. As a suggestion, when ever you're in the market for another mic, or want maximum warmth fomr your set-up, I'd suggesting going out and getting a tube mic with a tube amp. Tube mics (like my MXL 9000) are made for bassy voices and really let that attribute shine.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote