View Single Post
Old 11-05-06, 03:25 AM   #50
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Yeah, but Jeet Kune Do is different... Its now considered a style, and is different to the kind of MMA you're talking about.

Maybe you haven't had much exposure to true martial arts? Styles don't teach you, teachers teach you. A good teacher will teach you what's important. And good teachers are incredibly hard to find these days. The right kind of training is also important and that is up to the teacher as well. While 100% sparring may be effective for fights with rules, it becomes less effective in a real fight.

Personally, I'd put my money on the Muay Thai fighter, if he was a true Muay Thai. Lets extend the hypothetical. Say both fighters train for 3 years. The MMA guy trains in various styles, changes each day or every few days, wears weighted gloves, etc. And the Muay Thai fighter trains in a traditional Muay Thay fashion. Basics, followed by extensive strength and impact conditioning while learning more advanced techniques and sparring. Are you aware that Muay Thai fighters condition the areas they use to attack and defend so they become less sensetive and a lot harder? For example, they will kick palm trees or something else rough and hard many times with their shins, and their body makes the bone thats being hit stronger and harder. They also do this kind of thing with their knuckles. Many traditional martial arts incorporate conditioning like this, since it not only conditions the body but also the mind.

So when they fight, MMA fighter knows a few of MT fighter's moves. Not a problem, since he is far less effective in executing them. MT fighter knows just as many techniques as MMA fighter, maybe a bit less, but he has mastered those techniques and can adapt them. The MMA fighter is at least proficient in a few styles, which evens out the advantage. So skill wise we have two fighters that are more or less equal. What will set them apart and determine the winner?

One has spent the 3 years sparring in a controlled environment with gloves. The other is hardened physically and mentally. Thats the key right there.

When I still did MA, my teacher would have never made training sessions 100% sparring. Sparring was maybe only 20-30% of training, probably less. We were also made to condition our bones for impact, and do balance exercises. And he would tell people to sneak up behind somebody while they were sparring or training and hit them or push them over, it was funny. After a few months of him doing that everyone was not only aware of what they were doing, but also everything around them, being careful and ready to defend themselves from anywhere. He gave us not only physical strength but mental strength.

Thats why I keep saying it depends on the fighter. If two fighters have been taught well, it doesn't matter what style they use, the match will turn from a fight based on strength and speed to a fight based on will, technique and strategy.