View Single Post
Old 11-05-06, 09:32 PM   #52
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

My point is those people who train MMA and are elite fighters, usually started out fighting by becoming very good at one style. MMA is difficult to do well, MMA often lacks parts of the martial arts it uses that are not physical. The only reason MMA became a "style" so to speak that you can just start out learning, is because it is so effective at elite levels.

That, however, does not make MMA automatically stronger than other martial arts. A beginner who dabbles in many different styles is probably worse off than a beginner who concentrates on one style, all aspects of that one style, and mastering the basic techniques of that one style. But this might not always be the case, because like I said before, how good someone is is dependant on the fighter and the teacher.

I recognise the advantages of MMA, but you must realise that there are disadvantages also, and that you can't judge a fighter by their style alone. I'm saying MMA may or may not win, and other styles are also effective depending on various things. You're saying MMA is better than learning one style, which can be true to a certain degree but is not absolute... Because its not the style, its the fighter. This is one of the first things that should be taught in any martial arts, but I guess in MMA they teach that it's the best. One of the first things my teacher said to new members in our class was "Some people lose while using Taijutsu." A few people get disheartened by this, and go somewhere else where they say their style is the ultimate winning style that cannot ever be beaten. Obviously it never is, and people can lose using that style. This includes MMA. You also have to remember that there is more to real martial arts than just fighting.

They should call the kind of MMA you learn something like Multi-style Fight Training. From what you've said it doesnt look anything like true martial arts. That said, I'm not trying to attack it, im just saying they are very different and maybe what suits one person won't suit another person.