View Single Post
Old 01-27-07, 11:08 AM   #10
King Solo
Skadoosh!

IP:

L.E. wrote one as a part of a trilogy/series... I bought it and read it and surprisingly it was decent by my opinion. However, he has told me that he hasn't received any royalty cheques from it in a while, and due to it being Part One and no other parts have been released to date... I am assuming it didn't sell well and so his others could possibly not make it to the shelves in bookstores.

I am writing a 6-part series.... hoping to get published although nothing is certain. I will do my best, and keep trying until I do. However, a point to note is that you have more chances of being published if you have a trilogy/series because they are easier to market and publishing companies don't start to collect the real money from your talent until the 3rd book. That is coming from a friend of mine who IS published. Although, if your first book tanks then they will just cut their losses there and then and refuse to release the next two. Unless of course you can get a contract down and signed that says they will publish 3 of your books.

If you are planning to write and get published, you need some serious planning. Jotting shit down on a notebook is all well and good, but you may find when it comes to writing you will have various plotholes and shit that just don't make sense at all. I spent about 4 months planning my series... shit from land layout, mini story arcs, overall plot, character profiling and research.
Then, if you haven't got the patience to write a real book, not some 68 page piece of garbage then don't even try. Writing a book takes a lot of discipline and patience, you have to be able to deal with the times where you can sit for about 3 hours and only come up with a paragraph.

The easiest way I found to see if you have the patience and discipline is to write fanfiction first. If you can manage to do that, and get a decent length story going then that shows you have the discipline and patience. It also gives you an idea of how good you actually are at writing before you make an attempt at some original work.

I wrote a 15 chapter Resident Evil fanfiction at first, then I wrote a Soul Calibur fanfiction that went on for like 150 chapters. So all in all, I know I have the discipline and I know I have the talent because of all the reviews I got for both works on fanfiction.net. But, I left that site about 2 years ago and I only do original works now which I post on fictionpress.com.

That is the best approach I can think of to writing a book. If you write, post it up on fictionpress and get owned by constant flaming and shit reviews then chances are it will suck in sales if it got published. That isn't always the case, but think... if it gets rave reviews from people all across the world who use that site... its got a good chance of selling well.

My published friend posted his work on that site, and he had already built up a fanbase for his work before getting published. And even though most of the people on that site had already read it, when it did get published they went out and bought it anyway.