View Single Post
Old 06-11-07, 04:41 AM   #13
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

I don't know what you mean... With that, I was saying that we know certain parts of the brain, the parts responsible for the aspects that make up our sense of self. Those parts, we know how they work and what their function is. There is no proof of the soul interfacing with the brain at all, but we do know what the different parts of the brain are doing and how they are physically doing it.

Are you saying that the argument is affected because I don't take into account something there is no proof of and there doesn't need to be proof of? It's like me saying that my computer working is the result of all of its parts working together performing their various functions, then you saying no, how can a bunch of plastic and metal do what a computer can do? Surely computers must work because of magic. It is possible that they do work because of all their components, but not taking into account the possibility of magic weakens what you are saying.

It's like putting legs on a snake. I think you value those illusory things that make up the sense of self too much and give them too much credit, when they are merely functions. To be honest, I know what the soul is, and it isn't the thing that makes you you. It isn't the cause of your personality, but it is the cause of you and your true self.