View Single Post
Old 06-18-07, 11:10 PM   #21
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Hmm yeah I think that is mostly it... There is another kind of consciousness though, the same one that is beating your heart. Breathing is a good example, you can do it either with your concentrated attention or let it do it on it's own. It is similar with many other things.

The fact is that society causes us to overdevelop our concentrated attention and ignore the virtues of our other kind of consciousness. Concentrated attention lacks in many areas, it's just one part of the brain while the other kind of consciousness is a different part.

The kind of consciousness I'm talking about is the one that moves you if say, a ball was flying at your head. Or the one that drives your car if you are having a conversation with someone in the passenger seat and concentrating on that instead of driving. This consciousness is neglected and ignored, even though it is equally or more useful than our concentrated attention. That is because most people think that the concentrated attention is who they are and identify only with that, thinking that that is what drives the car and sees through the windshield. Which is why I wanted to argue with you about it, because you said the same thing.