View Single Post
Old 07-27-07, 09:11 PM   #9
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

I'll tell you the easiest way to quit smoking... Don't give a fuck about quitting smoking. If you suddenly decide "OK, from now on I will never smoke a cigarette again in my life," it is so daunting, such a big wall you have to climb over that your failure is basically guaranteed. You didn't even quit smoking, you said you still smoked. So what can you do?

Trick the universe and it won't be against you. Get rid of your intention to quit smoking, and simply decide that tomorrow you aren't going to smoke (with the help of patches and shit of course, because of the physical addiction side of things). If you're successful, you can say to yourself "cool. I guess I'll try not smoking tomorrow as well." You can continue like this for as long as possible. If you do end up smoking, who cares? Just try again the next day.

One thing that might help is keeping a tally of the days you successfully didn't smoke, but only count the days in a row in the tally. It is harder at the beginning, but once you get a few days under your belt you will feel like you don't want to just throw all your hard work away and start again from day one.