View Single Post
Old 09-27-07, 12:25 AM   #84
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Summers
thats your opinion..thats not a fact... you dont set the standard for whether and album is above or below average... if someone thinks this album is the greatest album ever than so be it... that is there opinion and there not wrong for thinking that...someone who may not even like rap may think this album is complete trash and they are not wrong for thinking that... you can't say it is a fact when in all reality what you were saying is common sense that it's just your opinion

Music is like a science... Do you have any idea how complex it is? Yes, it's true that music is subjective. I know that. I've mentioned what you're saying a couple of times now in this thread.

Separate to music's subjectiveness is the objective side of music. I am no expert, and I am not a musicologist, but anybody with a little bit of musical sense can see that 50 cent is not particularly talented, and that his album is not particularly special. Why can't you understand that? It's just how things are.

If a musicologist did an analysis of curtis, they would come to the conclusion that musically, it is sub par. It has nothing to do with who likes it or who doesn't, or how many sales it has, or whether people love it or hate it. It is just, objectively, from a musical standpoint, sub par.

On the other hand, if they did an analysis of an album like Nas' Illmatic, they would come to the conclusion that Nas is skillful in the execution of his chosen craft, and that the album is put together well. It is a good album. It doesn't matter who likes it or who doesn't. It doesn't matter who thinks it's good and who thinks it sucks... From a factual, objective standpoint, it is a good album.