View Single Post
Old 12-19-07, 06:58 AM   #3
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

It's really not that difficult for the average person.

Smile, be agreeable, be malleable, all they want is for you to push their buttons. People think employers want to be bored with endless babble about why you're so great, the very same few pages they read from almost every applicant, all of whom believe they are special and more worthy than the next poor sap who thinks in exactly the same way. Just tell them, with honesty that shines like a rare emerald amongst a sea of shit, what you're all about.

For example, I have never done any audio engineering training courses, nor have I ever worked as an audio engineer. All that I have in regard to such things is what I learned as an amateur rapper messing around with Cool Edit Pro. Nevertheless, I applied for a freelance job editing some audio. I don't have the cover letter I sent, but it was very direct, in simple words it said: "Look, I won't bore you with long introductions. I believe I am able to do the job you need done, here is my proposal and opinion. How does that sound?"

A day later, I received this reply:

John,

Your suggestion of a sample file is a good one. I have created a 7min clip of a 1.5 hour session. I didn't attend the session so I am not sure where the microphone was placed. The entire recording is made up of different presenter sessions with clapping in between.

The link for the sample file is at http://www.wikipacifica.org/ftp/index.html

This job I want to trial is to split each sessions into single files (between the clapping) and just "tidy" things up i.e. get the levels right and remove the background hum.

Depending on my client's acceptance of the outcome, it may lead into blogs and podcasts etc. But that is further down the track.

Anyway let me know when you have done the sample and if it is OK I may want an estimate of how long ($) it would take to do the same thing to 1.5 hour f ile.

Thanks

Lindsay

In the end, I was hired for that project. Some employers are idiots, they crave all that bullshit and equate it with competence. I definitely wouldn't get hired by such a person, but to be honest, I wouldn't want to be.