View Single Post
Old 08-05-08, 09:29 AM   #21
In-Vision
Out-Spoken

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Solo
good shit

whatever you do.. dont take advice from Limited Edition.. he had his first book published and it sucked major ass, tanked so bad in sales that they refused to publish the second two, coz it was book one of a trilogy.. now he gotta self publish that shit or he aint making no dollar.

yeah, i was talking to kirk about that...and how that most publishers will front the money on however many copies you want made...and if you don't sell..you pay that back out of your own pocket...if you pay for the copies....then you just waisted all your money...best thing to do for first books....is to print out as many prints as you can afford...not paper or hardback...just straight from the printer....and 1..send copies to publishers..if they like..they can call you...and if they really like it...you can tell them you want a no-sale clause stating that they are responsible for all fees involved with printing hardback or paperback.....regardless of how many you sell.....typically what they will do is make like..25-100 copies....and distribute them in random places...then they will see which areas the book sells most in....and if you sell out..they make a little bit more..and more...

the downside to this though...is they basically make anywhere from 40% to 70% based off of your royalties....

i happen to be a creative writing major at UO...and am planning getting my doctorate in it...and my proffessors have access to all kinds of publishers...public..private...franchise...everyth ing...and they are all at my disposal...so i mean..when you're finished...i can give you names, numbers, addresses....just make sure you exhaust all options before making a decision...because most of them will try to fuck you..ESPECIALLY if they like what they see...because they know that first time authors rarely ever do shit off of their first book....after you've written a few and have a track record of success..they'll say "hey...we can make more money off this guy by making a ton of copies"...and as far as royalties go...it's basically an auction...if youre an established author...it can get as low 10%...under 10% for them is pretty unusual

Time is not long, and indecision is hells cemment. So the well is rented, untill heaven is relevant. Untill then, to be eloquent, sex cells, so le'ts cellibate.

"watch what you watchin...fox keeps feedin' us toxin's..stop sleepin' start thinkin outside of the box and unplug from the matrix doctrine....but watch what you say cause big brother is watchin" - nas - sly fox

The I.H.C.J.S.F.M.T.R.H.P.M.M.W.T.S.M.S.I.T.F.F.W.A.S. O Crew
Send a message via AIM to In-Vision Send a message via MSN to In-Vision Send a message via Yahoo to In-Vision   Reply With Quote