View Single Post
Old 09-08-08, 10:29 PM   #45
сварливый

IP:

And as the point's been raised, it's not really about depression more than it is State Of Mind.

depression is just a label for a certain type of state of mind, and like any state, it has severity levels. There is both a Self[ish] and Self[less] state of mind attributed to Suicide. There are also methods of suicide that have nothing to do with themselves or other people, which aren't involving any sort of selves at all. I have studied suicide a lot because I've considered it (God forbid pinky shows the fuck up to tell me why he thinks my life is lame) and there are many situations involving.

Single example of a selfish suicide: "I have obligations and duties to other people which are good things for them. I am expected and/or the only one who can complete these duties. I want to satisfy their needs and it is perhaps a must that I do, however, I cannot forget my past (???) and must kill myself right now."

Example of Self[less] suicide: "Everyone I've ever come into contact with dislikes me and I've harmed every single human being in my life either emotionally or physically. I am wanted dead. I will complete the act myself." (Although this being a subjective opinion, and would be labeled depression by most psychiatrists, it is essentially, as depression is also, a state of mind)

Political suicide:
Buddhist monks self immolated themselves (Lit themselves on fire) to protest the cruelty done to .. Buddhist monks. This took place in Vietnam. Although they are doing the act to get what they want from their government, making them (selfish), they are giving something up in return, their life. Making them resembling more a side of Selflessness. That could also be argued in modern USA with a quick twist of logic, "You hurt Buddhist monks to save Buddhist monks?"

In ancient China, if you committed an offense toward someone with grand power who had authority over you, that leader/higher authority figure could sentence you to kill yourself. If you are disloyal, you will abandon your higher authority and gain shame. If you are loyal, you will kill yourself. This is not an act of selfish or selflessness, because it is a grave situation (death) that some people will not face. However of course in all cases of suicide it seems, abandoning his duties for his life is Selfish (with a loss of honor), whereas being a loyal servant in itself to any single other person or cause, is loyalty, and selfless.

But there is only one situation I can't put my finger on as either selfish or selfless, and that's when the person who's in a depressive state of mind is thinking about what other people have done to them and that by killing themselves they'll make a point.

I would assume.. that the point being made is what counts. Trying to teach them:
-I need to be more kind to people and mellow out. Make better decisions and be more giving. (Then the person who killed themselves for a point, took extreme measures in a self[less] act.)
-I am a shitty person and I deserve to die because i have costed this poor person's life through my actions. (selfish of the suicide(r), to wish that be the point to cross the person's mind)

of course in this situation only, it's really rather impossible to tell, as you don't know what the person taking their own life is really thinking at all, in their own state of mind. It is probably in this instance best that the person write a letter.

=)

I hope that sheds light on what you view of OMB..

and to the guy who said I respect OMB, yeah, I liked arguing with him on RV the most, so he had more of my respect. I don't really care what you think of me or terumoto, but I've always done my best to honor his death and my efforts won't go wasted by any bland or heartless opinion.

Edit: Oh.. he was talking to In-Vision.. alright then , my fault. .
██‡███████████████▓▓▓▒███▌████▓▓█████████▓▓███▓▓ ██|
██‡█████████████▓▓▓▒████▌▌▌████▓▓███████▓▓████▓█ ██|
██‡███████████▓▓▓▒█████▌▌▌▌▌▄███▓▓█████▓▓███████ ██|
██‡█████████▓▓▓▒█████████████████▓▓███▓▓████████ ██|
██‡███████▓▓▓▓▒███████████████████▓▓█▓▓█████████ ██|
██‡███████▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌████████████▓▓▓██████████ ██|