Thread: Bet Awards
View Single Post
Old 10-27-08, 12:40 AM   #24
Indeph
Not_Indeph

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baphomet
hmm... i wasnt aware that white people won awards at the black awards night...

doesent that defy the entire fucking point of having a black awards night?

Not exactly. The point of the BET awards and BET as a network in general isn't a to make an exclusively black network/awards show, but to support an(in comparison) ignored base. While I think both the programming AND music on BET is garbage, I know for a fact that rap wouldn't have gotten as big as it did without it. The reason why a White entertainment station isn't needed is typically all television already IS white entertainment television. I know there's black shows on every channel, but the VAST, VAST, VAST majority of television is white people. So if a white person wants a WET odds are it isn't because he feels his race is being "underrepresented", but just because he wants to get back at black people for some reason.

BET didn't really serve its purpose though. The problem was that black people who got on TV were forced to play typical side roles and stereotypes, but that's actually the only way BET portrays black people anyway so it's useless. Rather blacks not get shown at all then get shown the way they are on BET.