View Single Post
Old 07-01-03, 11:36 PM   #7
INsanity
Light Weight

IP:

aight envisions was talkin bout givin it a funkier feel if u wanna do that you can play around wit tha shuffle thing on tha step sequencer. this gives it more of a delayed kinda feel really usefull if you wanna a do a nice kinda vibe or old school beat. if u wanna use open Hi Hats i find they sound better when placed on tha up beat of 2 and 4 so in fruity it'd look kinda like this

*=hit, -=no hit, |=down beat(1,2,3,4)

|---|-*-|---|-*-

so when u use tha along wit tha drum pattern envision described with a bit of shuffle you'll have a nice groove to build your melody and harmony on.

Melodies:
Its easier to write harmonies to already exssting melodies. I believe in fruity 3.5 and up they have preset scales in the scores section in the fruity browser. open scores and then go to reference scales. then pick one. minor scales givin you better sounding hip hop beats usually(harmonic minor). then you just send it to ur selected channel. The notes of tha scale are now in the piano roll. For makin melodies all you have to do is play around with the notes there. Play around with the arrange ment of note, rythm, and octave. Make something that loops after 2 4 or 8 bars. its better for rapping. once you have made your melody you can move onto your harmonies. for this example we'll use four bars.

Harmonies:
harmony is a very complex aspect of composition. so for now i'm just gonna give u tha basics. For tha harmonies use the chord selection in the piano roll for the selected instrument u want for the harmony. in this example you picked a minor scale so pick a minor chord just to keep things basic. now for a basic beat just put a chord to hold for one bar. in this case i'm using a four bar loop so the really basic thing to do is to put a minor chord corresponding to the first note of the melody for that bar at the begining. now do tha same for the next three bars.

hopefully you can use this to make a few simple beats and arrangements. Later on in the future i might put up a tutorial to help with music composition