View Single Post
Old 07-09-03, 09:03 PM   #1
Tha Duce
Duce I Rae

some help for who needs it....

IP:

since this is the audio help area I think ill drop some tips for anyone who needs it....

aight im a producer and sound engineer

aight 1st im going to start from the begining ie sound and how you hear it and how you can use that to your advatage when making music.

Sound Pressure waves-

sound arrives at the ear in the from of a peridic variation in atmospheric pressure- this is the same pressure messured by the weather service with a barometer. the pressure veriations from sound are too small in magnitured and very to rappidly to be seen on a barmoeter. these veriations in pressure are called sound pressure waves. they are simluar to the waves in a pool or pond if you though a rock in the watter. the movment in the waves is what you hear in your hear. these are made but a vibrating body that is in contact with the air. exsample would be a speaker or vocal cords or even your hand hitting the table.. all cauz vibrations that cauz sound.

Wave Form Charteristics....
amplitude
Frequency
Velocity
WaveLength
Phase
Harmonic Content
Envelope

ok amplitude is the distance above or below the centerline of the waveform. The above distance is the postive and the bottom is the negitve. the farther away from the center line the more intense. and in the amplitude there is a thing called a cycle and one cycle is one postive and one negitve cycle of the amplitude.

Ok the Frequency is a bit tricky but pay attion.

The rate at which an Vibrating mass or acoustic generator ect, repeats a cycle of postive and negative - going amplatude is known as the frequency of that signal. One completed excrsion of a wave, which is plotted over a 360 degree circle "0 degrees starts at 3 oclock and goes counter clock wise" The number of cycles that happen over the period of one second is messured in hertz.

Ok Velocity

the velocity of wave is the speed at witch it travels though the medium and is given by the formula...

V=d/T2-T1

V is the wave velocity of propagation in the medium
d is the distance from the source
T1 is the begining of the 1st negivitve amplatude
T2 is the end of the 1st Negivitve amplatude

Tempiture also effect velocity at 70 degrees F a sound wave travels about 1130 feet per second. for every 1 degree F above 70 degrees the rate increases 1.1 feet per second.

Ok well Ill go into other stuff later cauz I think i wrote enough to figure out for yea'll if you interested in this stuff and yes ill get to how this can help you once i get thou it all cauz it wont make sence till you understand everything aight cheack yeall later
Send a message via AIM to Tha Duce Send a message via MSN to Tha Duce Send a message via Yahoo to Tha Duce   Reply With Quote