View Single Post
Old 07-29-03, 09:42 PM   #14
bouncedoggydog
"Cuz bruk said so"

IP:

Pick up a cheap samson condensor with shock mount ($80-100 ) at sam ash, then add a pop filter, ($10-25) then all you need is a decent preamp. Focus rite would be optimal, but go with the presonus tube pre amp ($99) at guitar center. Now you trash the tube it comes with and replace with a Goove tube ($10-15). For the same amount or less than the sure, you can have a nice little set up. It will work for your purpose, and it wont break you completely. DJX is right, you can tell the difference in the audio, using a cheap mic ALWAYS. What you can't hear, you can see with a network analyzer, believe me, the crap will show up.

One last word of advice, if you plan on building a home based studio, please do yourself a favor and never skimp on your monitors. I don't care what mic you use, just make sure you invest in a good pair of monitors. You will thank me later, design the system around the monitor. Near field, passive, with very flat response like the classic white cone yamaha's ms10's <--I think they are...Some one correct me if the designation is wrong (ms10)...