View Single Post
Old 10-25-03, 07:33 PM   #7
Syntax Mastery
Fucking Genius

IP:

DJX - I thought the intro was iight...the phaser and the phone effect always add dimension to things... although, i wasnt really feelin the selection you used from the sample... it sounds too typical i guess... you started chopping it though, and i think that helped some... the vocal synth didnt really help out, didnt effect anything either... i like the slide tahts 2 notes b4 the snare hits... i like the drums, and also the way the drums are patterened, but one thing i dont like is how this lacks a bassline... come on, if your gonna have a extreme high like "vinyl sound" then you should also have a extreme low... to match it, it makes the beat more full. Anyways, im just a super critic when it comes to beats... anotehr thing... if you were gonna make this beat so long, i think you should have at least add a more prominent change up than just cutting. But thats just my preference.

breakdown...you should have added a rolling bassline, and a more dynamic change up. This was a shaky beat from you...

ok

Mind Theory - The intro is way too long.., i can appreciate the mixing of the cuts though... ok, the beat dropped... i think... the drums are insanely weak. THe snare got the army roll thing going on... No "take charge" bassline, i can barely hear it...it sounds like a tuba. the drum and cymbal combo is pretty good, makes the mood right... Ok, the loop is starting to get on my nerves, considering its played regularly from the intro to were i am, which is about 4 minutes in. I like the temple bell hit at the chorus, and i like the synth arrangement within the chorus, good job on that, it really sets the mood, but the lack of a stand out drum and bass section is killing you man. The bassline in this kinda mood needs to make my heart hurt.

(All beats were listened to on a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones, and a second time on a pair of Mackie HR824 monitors.)

vote = Alcatrakz aka DJX

mind theory, you had the mood set, and could have won... but you didnt deliver the goods as far as the low end is concerned. I suggest you invest in some monitors asap. Get that THUMP up...