Thread: Kids
View Single Post
Old 08-01-06, 03:38 AM   #15
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Hmm, well im not really that passionate about that kids thing, and I basically agree with you on it. Like I said, im neutral when it comes to having kids. I dont desperately want to, but I wouldnt mind if I did. I was just arguing "for" for the sake of the argument. lol -_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexx
truthfully none. I use the teachings of buddhism selectively to suit my needs pertaining to enlightenment, i don't suscribe to buddhist hindu-philosophy.

That's all well and good but buddhism is pointless without being selfless. The entire point of enlightening one's self and ascending is to help ascend others. Spreading enlightenment is part of raising the general awareness, which is why monks take in students. If what you are saying were true, there would have only been one buddha.

I think you're taking far too great of a stoic view on buddhism. that only applies to suffering, not to the purpose of existance.

No, you've missed the point. Being selfless? That is showing loving kindness and compassion to sentient beings, not preaching. I guarantee 99/100 people you preach to wont give a shit about what you're saying at all. The Buddha himself said not to waste your time in companionship with a fool. Also,

64. If a fool be associated with a wise man even all his life, he will perceive the truth as little as a spoon perceives the taste of soup.

65. If an intelligent man be associated for one minute only with a wise man, he will soon perceive the truth, as the tongue perceives the taste of soup.

If somebody really wants to attain enlightenment, they will do it themselves. You can help them if you want, but its not the purpose of enlightenment at all. If it was, enlightenment would be as useless as the next material object. There is a story of a man who was very wise, that decided to write commentaries on the sutras so that he could help other people become wise also. I can't remember the exact turn of events, but something happened to him and then he became enlightened, and he burned all of his commentaries that he had spent over 10 years writing. He said "Compared to what I have attained, these writings are a fine hair in this entire universe, nothing more than a single drop in the vast ocean."

To look to the future, hoping some day that you will be enlightened and you will be wiser than everyone else, so much so that you can help them... Is pointless. That's just your conditioning kicking in. "Things will be better later on." They won't.

The purpose of enlightenment is to have no purpose.