View Single Post
Old 02-23-11, 09:09 AM   #59
JTR
Jack The Ripper

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabatos
You have 2 extremely long posts so i'll reply to them one at a time.

You said I cant prove that. I dont need to prove it, I dont need to prove the Bible period. The Bible alone defends it self. I find it very interesting that you say I cant prove that God actually said this or that, but at the same time, can you please prove to me that God did not say it? You're trying so hard to disprove me, when you can not prove yourself of your beliefs.
I already stated that the bible cannot be dis-proven or proven by factual evidence, yet. The thing is I'm not the one who believes in something that has no proof. I can tell you that dragons exist and so does an alternate universe where Jedi's are fighting for control against the evil Sith, and you wouldn't be able to disprove that and I wouldn't be able to prove that either. I'd still look stupid for believing in it.

You admitted you created your own theory of God in your mind, and judging the Bible because someone wrote it. Here is one thing you got wrong, "All scripture is breathed out by God.." 2 Timothy 3:15. This means, all scripture is written, inspired by God. Though He used men to write it as vessels, he inspired everything that was written. He didn't inspire the man that held the pen, He inspired the Words in it. So no, the Bible wasn't created with some theories men made up. It doesn't even contradict anything in the old testament, but both the old testament and N.T. compliment each other.
Ah ah ah *waves finger* you can't say I got it wrong remember? You can't prove that I was wrong just as I can't prove I was right . So for this we agree to disagree. I think it was just men that wrote it, you think it was God who told men what to write or something like that. K cool

But you also said there are scientific facts that back up what you believe in. I think that's awesome, can you show me? I can show you many scientific facts that prove the Bible is correct. Actually, science helps prove how correct, and accurate the Bible is. For example how the Bible new the earth was round before men did? While men thought the world was flat, the Bible said it was round? Hmm interesting...
No. I'm not going to show you or anyone else for that matter my beliefs and religion/philosophy. I'm happy you brought this up though because unfortunatly for you I also know some hebrew words, and I know the exact passage you're talking about along with its original hebrew text. Actually I know the original hebrew text of all the passages from Isaiah. And I will now begin to completely and utterly destroy this entire argument making it 100% non credible.
"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers…"
(Isaiah 40:22).
You're arguing with what is only an interpretation of the original hebrew text. The exact translation of the hebrew word gh in Isaiah 40:22 is "circle" as can be seen above. "Circle" in this context was then interpreted to mean "Sphere", and so was born a claim that the bible stated the world was round. Round? In this passage yes. A sphere? No. There is a much better Hebrew word for sphere that has been used in another passage from Isaiah.
"He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house."
(Isaiah 22:18).
The hebrew word rwd in this passage is roughly translated as "ball" and/or "sphere" however this word was not used in Isaiah 40:22, the word for circle was. Furthermore if we interpret the word gh (circle) as "sphere" in every passage of the hebrew text, as it was interpreted in Isaiah 40:22, it would result in awkward translations. Thus leading me to believe that according to this specific passage, the bible did claim the world was round, as a circle, but never as a sphere. You aren't convinced yet that this argument you presented is complete bullshit are you? It's ok because I'm not done yet . I actually have some very interesting passages that thanks to you I remembered (one of which coming from the book of Isaiah, the same book that apparently you claim states the world was round). I think you'll enjoy them.
"He will raise a signal for the nations and will assemble the banished of Israel, and gather the dispersed of Judah from the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH."
(Isaiah 11:12)

"After this I saw four angels standing at the FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree."
(Revelation 7:1)

"that it might take the EARTH BY THE EDGES and shake the wicked out of it?"
(Job 38:13)

"O LORD, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in time of distress, to you the nations will come from the ENDS OF EARTH and say, "Our fathers possessed nothing but false gods, worthless idols that did them no good."
(Jeremiah 16:19)

"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?Tell me, if you understand. Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line ACROSS it?"
(Job 38:44) ^^ Shouldn't that state "who stretched a measuring line AROUND it"? I mean, it should if the bible says the world is a sphere. But then again it doesn't really ever say that does it?

^^ I don't think I need to tell you what shape edges and four corners describes. I think you're slowly starting to regret ever mentioning that the bible said the world was round. The mistake you made was thinking I wasn't educated as much as or possibly even more then you yourself are in the bible. The fact I have read it in Hebrew doesn't help you either. You see, you do not argue with fact. You argue with an incorrect interpretation. An interpretation of a passage that was interpreted incorrectly to mean "sphere" ONLY after the world was proved spherical by Columbus. You say that men thought the world was flat? You seem to be forgetting that these men were also men of the church. And the bible, along with the passage you claim states the world was round (Isaiah 40:22) were both present at this time. Yet it is clear that at this particular moment of history, this passage was not interpreted as a claim that the world was round as it is interpreted now, thus being the reason that the church at this time still believed the world to be flat despite this one, single, sole bible passage in particular. Such is also why the Church denied claims by scientists such as Copernicus and Galileo and even had Galileo placed on house arrest for concpiracy of heresy. Anyways I really don't know what the deal was with people back then thinking the world was flat... I mean... All they had to do was look at the sun or the moon and see those are round and figure it out for themselves... Mesopotamians figured it out before the bible existed. They also knew about planetary rotation but apparently the bible didn't.
"He set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved."
(Psalm 104:5) Wtf do they mean by foundations anyways? Fishy.

"The LORD reigns, he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed in majesty and is armed with strength. The world is firmly established; it cannot be moved."
(Psalm 93:1)

^^ So now not only does the bible claim that the world is either a circle (only according to one specific passage) or a square, it also claims that the world doesn't move? Move like, 24 hours to rotate in a complete spin? Or move like... 365 days to revolve around the sun? Wait, it gets worse.

"Also, the sun rises and the sun sets; And hastening to its place it rises there again."
(Ecclesiastes 1:5)

^^ So now the bible claims that the world is either a circle or square, doesn't move, and that it's infact the sun that moves. Just like how the church used to believe that it was the sun that revolved around the earth until Columbus made his voyage? I don't get it. Where does it go when it sets? Into some spacial black hole? Then pops back up when it's ready? Wait, it gets worse.

"The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ENDS OF EARTH."
(Daniel 4:11)

Next the devil took him to the peak of a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory.
(Mathew 4:8)

^^ Again with the ends of earth. Anyways ok so if astronomical bodies are spherical then we know now that you wouldn't be able to see the entire exterior surface of the earth from any place on earth, so these passages would not be possible unless the bible were claiming that the world was flat... Which still doesn't make sense because even if the world was flat and you climbed a giant mountain, the human eye could only percieve to a certain distance. And for the record the kingdoms of this point in history - Egypt, China, Greece, Crete, sections of Asia Minor, India, Maya (in Mexico), Carthage (North Africa), Rome (Italy), Korea, and other settlements from these kingdoms were widely distributed all across the earth.

Mentioning that the bible claimed that the world was round doesn't seem like it was such a clever idea anymore does it?