View Single Post
Old 07-22-07, 05:39 AM   #30
Terumoto
I have a lot to learn...

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Picture
so does Zen Buddhism put a teacher in the book above its learners and use confusing metaphors to teach basic and essential knowledge? or does fooling with this religion make reaching enlightenment faster and more useful with out having to hold onto a "big ship" once "crossed the river" to the goal of enlightenment?

Zen puts everyone equally. There is no division between student and teacher except the division that is already there. Like in any other religion, there are bad teachers of Zen and good teachers of Zen. A good teacher of Zen can know your understanding of life by talking with you or being around you, and thus will know what to do to help you get to heaven.

What confusing metaphors are you talking about?

I'm not saying Zen is the "right" religion. It won't get you anything faster than anything else. It depends on the person. You can't do it expecting it to get you enlightened faster than say, Hinduism. If you are a person like that Zen will just confuse the shit out of you and try to break down your misconceptions with things like unsolvable riddles that you have to solve. Which is a good thing.

People can let go of any ship they use to cross the river. I'm just saying that the more there is to get attached to, the harder it will be to leave your ship/religion behind once you reach the other side. Also, if you get swept out to see and lost, it's easier to cling to a large cruise ship like Christianity until you die, than it is to other religions. Especially when the driver is telling you that if you stay aboard the ship, they will eventually get to land.