Thread: Round One:
View Single Post
Old 09-05-03, 12:07 AM   #40
Tourniquet
Spectator

IP:

Quote:
Originally posted by varentao
Just like to say, to those who maybe aint 'voted' or wrote much or whatever on poetry before.

That it doesn't exactly have to rhyme. The flow is usually subtle and goes word to word.

And the structure of the piece must be appreciated for what it is. It might be done like that on purpose for artistic reasons. Like that's the effect they want.

It doesn't exactly follow the same rules of open mic. Meanings/story lines are usually hidden beneath the piece. And a story in a poem is not vital. There's different types.

Don't want to sound patronising. But it has to be said. Just in case. In the interests of fairness.

I think its good this has been said. Comments regarding the rhyme/or lack of, the length/structure etc etc are all mute- as poetry is rarely bound by these stereotypes.
Unfortunately I see alot of comments on pieces in the forums regarding these structural limitations. And Im not referring to the current tourney or judging of it, just the general forum.
I do realise some poems really are just written poorly, and the message while heart felt, is diminished by the execution.
If you really want to appreciate poetry you cant read it with your eyes, you absorb it to allow your emotion to comprehend the author. Most importantly, poetry is personal, so not every reader will connect with every writer. But that doesnt make the poem bad or good, as chances are there is always someone out there who will appreciate the piece.