View Single Post
Old 09-08-07, 03:10 AM   #1
Indeph
Not_Indeph

50 cent says southern rap hurts hip hop

IP:

http://rap.about.com/b/a/253154.htm

THIS IS MAD OLD btw, but I just now am hearing of it.

In a recent interview with MTV, rap megastar and G-Unit boss - 50 Cent denigrated the southern rap genre, referring to this form of hip-hop as "simplified." The New-York rapper also reasoned that southern rappers hardly put any thought into their music because they're more engrossed with having a nice time, than actually making quality music. I don't know that 50 Cent's "In Da Club" credentials qualifies him to place judgement on southern rap, but, his own lyrics are not that sophisticated at all. Besides, if a track was designed with the dancehall in mind, then I don't want to be in the club scratching my head over its lyrical complexity. Most importantly, one barely has to research to find that the dirty south has spawned some of the most prolific lyricists in hip-hop, notably OutKast, Scarface, Cunninglinguists, Ludacris, and Supastition to name a few. If 50 Cent is really concerned with revitalising the state of southern rap, maybe he needs to start with his G-Unit dirty south artist - Young Buck.