Thread: Startin Out
View Single Post
Old 10-04-06, 05:23 PM   #5
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

IP:

well where are you in rap? is it

1: just something you're toying with right to entertain your self and friends etc, and you wanna see where it's could go?

or 2: do you plan to be putting together music for demos and trying to shop a deal?

if you're just playing around and wanna see wher eit could go, there's no need for you to go buy this expensive gear. however, if you're trying to make moves, you gotta set your mark a little higher so you you gotta step up with better gear.

In situation 1: truthfully, for a mic, I'd reccomend you get the Samson Co1U. It's not a great mic, but in it's class it's a top contender and for it's price it's flat out unbeatable. And if you know how to EQ, you can really carry it a looooonnngg way. Besides, at the level you're at, it'll blow your mind. You'll think its' the best thing ever. From there, some pantyhose and a wire hanger as a $2 pop filter (look up enygma's ghetto popfilter technique for a tutorial) and you're pretty much ready to record. You need headphones, and i can't stress that enough. Truhtfully, iPod earbuds are better than 90% of the headphones you'll come across in Radioshack/Samgoody/Coconuts etc etc. You need something with good quality to tell you how you really sound.

In situation 2: shit man, the list of gear you'll need is very long and truthfully it'll go to waste till you learn on the beginner shit anyways.

PS. don't waste your time with Fooledit, it's far too limited (in stock form) to get everywhere you want to go, it's like the Fisherprice of music programs. Don't turn into one of those people who are just slapping on effects left and right thinking they're doing something good. Start off with Audacity and learn to use it, it's far more capable and just as free, works with the same plug-ins and comes default with most of the features cool edit's missing.

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote