View Single Post
Old 01-20-04, 09:11 PM   #1
deacon
I Am The Light

Haiku tournament sign ups!!!!!!!!!!!

IP:

Alright we have decided to expand the boundaries of poetry for this tournament. Straying from the typical poetic piece we decided to use a unique style of writing called a Haiku. Below i have given some good examples of Haiku's...
We realize that this may take some practice for some of you. im keeping the sign ups open for 2 weeks from today.This should give you plenty of time to practice..Good luck and if you need further help on this get intouch with either myself or Varantao...

Haiku consists of 3 lines (well, the format we're gonna start off with. But usually it's all about having 17 syllables, no matter how many lines).

1st line - 5 syllables
2nd line - 7 syllables
3rd line - 5 syllables

We might ammend the syllable structure. Maybe add a line or two. Though that'd stop it being a Haiku. It'd remain with the same 'jist' of things. Though the final shall be a seventeen syllable Haiku (might make it two Haikus for each..dunno yet..but it'll be the normal Haiku format..)..

Tree like wise and strong (Tree is one syllable, so is strong and so is wise...one sound...)
Leafs fall graceful with each word (leafs is one sound one syllable, but graceful is two syllables, grace is one ful is the other..)
On tramp she shelters (tramp is one, she is one, shelters is two..)

Sorry if that sound a bit patronising. But thought i'd make sure.