View Single Post
Old 05-21-03, 06:06 PM   #15
M1
New to RB

IP:

thanks y'all, I appreciate the love!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mind Theory

howed u get ur name registered? does it work the same if ur tryin to register the name u rap under?

Basically when you start any kind of small buisness, like for example a production company or a studio, you contact the Technology, Trade, and Commerce Agency in your particular state and register the company so it's legal for you to make money and declare it as income, cause you can't operate and not pay taxes. They can send you a small buisness start-up kit that details what you have to do exactly.

There's computers at the Chamber of Commerce here in San Diego where you can type up names you have in mind and see if they're in use in that particular region, I did it a while ago but I'm sure there's ways to do it online now. You search the database for names that aren't in use. Once you find a name that's not taken already you fill out the forms and register it with the state, pay the inital fees, set up a tax account, company account, etc. etc.

That's pretty much what I did, but I think what you might have in mind is a simple name copyright. You need to contact the US Copyright Office(www.loc.gov/copyright/), and go from there.