View Single Post
Old 08-05-03, 04:34 PM   #2
Da Joka
BANNED

IP:

Quote:
7.Personals
Personals are when you use something that has to do with the person you’re battling, whether its their AIM s/n, emcee name, something they did, their avatar, their crew, their sig, ect. Personals are a very important aspect of a battle, because they prove that you didn’t prewrite your verse. Also, they are a great source for punch ideas and are very hard hitting when used right. Personals are even better when mixed with metaphors and wordplay. Here are several good examples of personals.

"and an icepick.. and then Palm will get read with out the help of a psychic!" - iLL Chris to Napalm

"im too much for my enemy.. and how you gonna be a doctor when you suck at delivery!" - ex-kaliber to dr. deluxe

Each of those use something about their opponent to diss them(in those it’s their opponents name). Try to use personals at least a couple times in your battles, and if it’s hard for you at first, don’t worry..you’ll get good at it soon.

8.Mulits
I wont spend too much time on this, since there’s already a couple tutorials for this. The first thing that you have to know about multis is that it DOES NOT stand for multiple word rhyming, and it stands for multiple syllable rhyming. A multi is when you rhyme 2 or more syllables. Try to avoid forced multis as much as you can. The way to know if a multi is forced is to compare every syllable of the multi and if even one doesn’t rhyme its not a multi..just inners. Multis can improve your flow a lot, but don’t base your verses around them. If you can slip some multis in without changing the effect of the punch, then by all means..use it, but if it will change the meaning of the punch and sounds akward, then I suggest not using it. You will get better at multis if you keep using them. For instance, I have used them for a long time and now can place several in a bar without using a filler or decreasing the effect of a punch.[/size]

9.Complexity
Complexity is definitely one of the more difficult things to have. Complexity just..not having simple rhymes. For example something like this, “IM the shit..muthafukas on my block hear me spit..they all know Im the man because I am it//” is not at all complex. That is extremely basic. There are many different ways to add complexity to your spits, but there is no specific way to do it. Try using elements on this list and vocab, but I can’t tell you what to do with this because this also has to do a lot with your style which is different from MY style.[/size]

10.Rhyme scheme
A rhyme scheme can be a good thing to have, but a set rhyme scheme isn’t necessarily needed. Here is an example of a rhyme scheme:

Rhyme1 blah blah blah blah rhyme2//
Rhyme1 blah blah blah blah rhyme2//

Personally, I don’t usually use a rhyme scheme but they can seriously increase your flow. If you’re going to use a rhyme scheme, make up your own. Don’t take someone else’s rhyme scheme.

11.What NOT To Do
Here is what you should not do in a battle:
-NEVER bite
-NEVER recycle a line/punch
-Really try not to use any fillers(any line that isnt a punch or a set-up for a punch)
-DO NOT talk about how ill you are/how good you are/or anything that’s complimenting yourself, it’s a battle..the purpose is to ridicule your opponent
-NEVER make up things about your opponent just so you’ll have personals
-DO NOT structure your lines around multis, use them if you can but don’t force them in your verse
-DO NOT use big words just to make yourself look smart, especially if you don’t know what they mean
-DO NOT make your lines 25 syllables long
-DO NOT use played concepts for punches

Also, heres a list of DON’Ts for multis. These things are bad because they just don’t flow well.
-Using four-syllable multies three times in one line and having other words in between them, or using four-syllable multies more than three times at all, in one line.
-Using multies over five-syllables, and using five-syllable multies more than twice in one line.
-Using three-syllable multies more than four times. Five times can occasionally be used depending on the specific multies, if there are words in between the multies or if it is a straight rhyme, and the rhythm/beat you are using with the line.
-Accenting heavily, or more than occasionally. This takes away from the legitamateness of your rhymes.

*sighs*

THE END

and remember..if you dont battle..you wont get better so keep battling!

thnx out to rara
Send a message via AIM to Da Joka Send a message via Yahoo to Da Joka