View Single Post
Old 05-02-08, 05:37 PM   #9
∆ P E X X
Engineer / Club Promoter

IP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teevy Wonder
word, i'm moving into my own single apartment August 1st, and i'm gonna have a big ass walk-in closet (like 9 ft. by 4 ft.) that i'm considering turning into a booth with my SM7 and Pro Tools

any advice on my best bet to do that efficiently?

Sound deadening in such small spaces is CRUCIAL!! You can go from recording echoey, what we call "blurry" vocals with a lot of involuntary noise, or crisp clear clean vocals, and it all comes down to two very simple things, mic location, and foam. With selecting mic location, remember that the wall in front of you is the least important. The walls on the side and behind you are the most important. Why? because those are the walls that bounce the sound back toward the mic again, and you want to stop them from being able to do that. So record facing the shortest walls, not the longest ones. The longest ones should be at your sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
I appreciate it Apexx. I'm actually going to most likely build 3 walls because of the space available and outlet set up. I'm kind of limited on both, so I want to keep the booth close to the outlet so I can have my computer set up right next to it.

I'm still fuckin with the Samson C01U, but when I get this built and start raking in some money from my upcoming deployment to Afghanistan, I'll def be in the mood for an upgrade, which I'll probably be seeking out your advice on.

One last question. Would I be able to use mattress foam the same way as this studio foam? I think its cheaper to be honest with you and if it can be used the same way, I'm all about the budget......lol.

Yeah, the C01U. Truthfully, you can cut mixtape quality tracks from a C01U.

And for foam, you want my best advice man? don't use mattress foam dude, that shit is literally useless, and every time you look at it on your walls it'll look like wasted dollars. The noise cancellation properties are non existant, and it changes colors over time and looks down right hideous. Here's what the old foam looked like compared to the new foam, and this is "shipping foam", better than mattress foam, but still shit.

That's what all shit foams look like after they discolor. And you pay for that, and still have shitty sound control? Just doesn't make any sense.

One of the biggest advantages to audio foam is you spend less time mixing. We put the studio foam in and his mix time went down to literally 3 minutes. The studio foam was doing most of the mixing! Fixing the messed up sound for him. Its better to get a small amount and place it strategically than a large amount of shit. And if you're going to buy foam Enyg, do not pay retail. Call me before you buy anything.

Do you have the measurements for your space yet?

I Turn Rappers into Legends
Welcome to the Business world.

www.soundclick.com/apexx
^Make no mistake about it, the boy is a fuckin BEAST^

The Rush Ent.

Send a message via AIM to ∆ P E X X Send a message via MSN to ∆ P E X X Send a message via Yahoo to ∆ P E X X   Reply With Quote