RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > Back Stage > Concluded Tournaments > Lyricist Battle League > LBL History & Hall of Fame > Interviews
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-06, 07:59 AM   #1
KempoMRK
The Saviour

Interview with SPuL

IP:

KempoMRK: Yo Spul, how ya doing? Introduce yourself and give us a little bit of info and stuff.

SPuL: I'm doing good, but umm yea, I go by SPuL and um I've been giving people losses on this site since 04 and shit. And if you get on my case, I'm known to slap you in the face with a sausage and shit

KempoMRK: Ok. So I hear you're signing out of the league!?

SPuL: nah, I was thinkin' about it, but I decided against it for the moment. I'll be staying for a good month or two def

KempoMRK: That's good, props. What do you expect to see yourself doing in this league?

SPuL: Well since i've made it to 3 final 4s out of the 4 tournaments I've been in, and won 2. I really can't set the bar any lower than expecting myself to hold the LBL title for a couple of weeks. anything else would be a failure in my eyes...

KempoMRK: Reckon you'll be first ever champ? And tell us about the tournaments.

SPuL: I hope to be first ever champ. And as for tournaments, the first one I won was back in June 04. I caught a few breaks here and there, but i ended up winning in end. Then next tournament was KORV 1 which soc eventually lost. I was #1 seed, and I ended up losing in the 2nd rd to N. Taverez because I underestimated him. Then KORV 2, I was 6 seed, ended up losing in final 4 to 9th, the eventual champ. And then KORV 3 I was a 3 seed and ended up winning. So it's been good for most part

KempoMRK: You made your mark at any other sites?

SPuL: I've battled quite a few battles on rapmusic.com. I'm 4-0 just regular battles there, and i'm currently in RBL and I'm 2-1 there. so 6-1 there. I'm not known by name, but hopefully I can achieve success there as well

KempoMRK: Name some heads who have influenced you in text or who you like

SPuL: Def L.I. Since back when I was new around 04, me and him really were tight. We both had big win streaks going, and tried to outlast eachother. Def influenced a lot by him. And recently, with JTR. dude helped me start to mess around with flips and wordplay more. So they are the two text heads who really influenced me a lot.

KempoMRK: cool, what about top heads in the league?

SPuL: Um, this is just going off what I've seen. I'd say, JTR, N. Taverez, Mimesis, and Nick Fletcher. oh also, i seen some good shit from Jay Cee too. Don't really know dude, but I've heard good shit about him. so word

KempoMRK: Keeping on text for a bit, whats your favourite battle you've had? And are there any people you'd especially like to battle? I'll set it up for the PPV ;-)

SPuL: Um my favorite battle I've had I've got to say was my battle against Socrates back in 04, won best battle of the yr. Since we both were REALLY beefing so shit was serious. I ended up winning 5-3, but I agree that he really won battle, but RV doesn't usually go like that. And as for battle, I've battled all the top heads I mentioned before 3 times at minimum, so I really wouldn't favor a 4th time, nah mean? But umm Daubs I guess. Seeing as we had our different opinions a few months ago. I'd like to see what he can dish out face to face. be interesting:-)

KempoMRK: Excellleeeent. Daubs vs Spul at the next special event, if you ain't in the champ match that is. I know you do audio, tell us about that

SPuL: I've been doing it since summer of 04. I've improved A LOT since, but I still don't think I'm at a level I can be comfortable at. But it only can go up, so gotta stay focused. But also, I've seen PLENTY text heads who turn to audio and just diss the hell out of text heads saying it's wack to do text. Well I find it the opposite. Text helps me imrpove lyrically, because with text flow and how you deliver don't matter. All that they see is the words, so you have to do something like wordplay, flips, use wit, etc. And that really has helped me improve lyrically, which in turn makes my audio all the better. So it really works good for me, I think

KempoMRK: Yeah, I know what you mean about the audio people hating text. It's stupid as fuck cos firstly the two are completely different and secondly the people saying it, as you said, used to do text. What do you prefer out of text or audio? Or are they just so different you can't compare.

SPuL: yea, can't really compare them. I'd say I'd prefer audio more, but that's because I actually wanna pursue becomin' a rapper. But without text, I don't think I'd be at the level my audio is right now. So they both are very valuable, and it's stupid to turn around and diss what helped you grow as an MC

KempoMRK: Agreed, agreed. You got any projects or such shit that you wanna tell us about?

SPuL: well, my next mini-mixtape I have wrapped up, and am releasing it this monday. So watch out for that shit..

KempoMRK: Let's do some word association. I'll say a random name, can be anything text or audio or anything, and you say a sentence or something about them.

SPuL: aiight

KempoMRK: Mimesis

SPuL: dope text head, got some illy audio too and umm... and i'ma bang his sister this summer8-)

KempoMRK: Tell us about that :-D Then think about the next person, JTR

SPuL: lmao well, word umm this summer I be heading up to AZ, so i'll be chillin' with dude. So I'll just knock him out with a sausage slap, then put mine in his sister nah mean? 8-) lol as for JTR...

SPuL: dope dude to chill with, dope text head as well, and helped me out with a lot of shit

KempoMRK: N.Tavarez aka hotshh!

SPuL: another dope dude, keeps it illy with the text, and a co-wwe fan like me. Word

KempoMRK: WWE has been whack lately :-( Fuck all keeping my attention. Anyway. On to other sites. John Hensley

SPuL: lol yea, it's been slackin' lately. but Hensley, I haven't really peeped his shit, but from what I've heard he is pretty dope. He's in RBL title match this week so i'll make sure I check that out

KempoMRK: Two more. Resin M-I-C

SPuL: who?

KempoMRK: lol. Lastly, Fracture

SPuL: yea, another cat I ain't read shit from, but i've had people quote some lines of his, and they pretty tight. so props to dude

KempoMRK: And final question which I shall ask everyone I interview. A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory vs A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders?

SPuL: Those songs?

KempoMRK: Albums

SPuL: i haven't listened to them, so umm i'll say umm.....Low End Theory cuz it's initials spell out LET, and that's gangsta and shit

KempoMRK: Oooooh yeah. Good interview Spul, give us a little outro and peace and good luck in the league.

SPuL: umm.. yea, shout out to all my peeps and shit. And JTR, V-DUBS WHAT?!?! word....8-)
Send a message via AIM to KempoMRK Send a message via Yahoo to KempoMRK   Reply With Quote