RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-05, 05:35 AM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

Should you ever PAY to be featured on a compilation or web site?

IP: 1ADC A69C

word...I got an email from this organization that allows you to feature songs on their compilation and web site if you pay...they basically "STICKY" your song on their web site which gets a lot of hits for one month.

is that worth payin' for or is that a.....................SCAM?

They say if your song is one of the most Downloaded, they'll waive the fee from there on out and feature your songs.
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-05, 06:01 AM   #2
leady
Addicted

Text Record: 1-1
Audio Record: 2-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: 171A DF80

hhhhmmmm i personally would NEVER pay to feature on a compilation/mixtape, you shouldnt have to.

afterall your making no profit from it, they are the ones selling it and using your music(along with others) in order to make money for themselves.

that idea you gave there, sounds extremely crappy, if u have a link to the website ill look at it and i can give you a better analysis on it.
Old 11-03-05, 06:06 AM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

Old 11-03-05, 06:21 AM   #4
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 0A00 A919

On the internet?

Fuck no....
Old 11-03-05, 06:30 AM   #5
leady
Addicted

"Ready to make your money go the distance? With over 1 million viewers a month"

i dnt beleive that, id like to see proof.... i personally wudnt give them a single penny
Old 11-03-05, 07:22 AM   #6
Tha Q.
OYD

^^word

I'mma pass on dat one then
Old 11-03-05, 07:47 AM   #7
leady
Addicted

in all honesty, your best bet is to not try taking short cuts, do it off your own back, make the contacts yourself, it shows ur willing to put in the work and determined, n the people who matter will recognise that sooner or later.

all i have is a simple .cjb.net website n a few music pages, n myspace, thats more or less as far as my net shit goes(obviously posting on forums) but everything i do is done to help expand my music and audience, but the promoters i know, producers, label owners, DJ's(club and radio) ive made them all myself, ive approached them all off my own back with a proffessional attitude and its done me wonders, got me producers ready to hand me free beats, DJ's allways willing to play my music and askin when new stuff is out and promoters allways askin me to perform, get to know people and they eventually put u on to sum1 they know n so on n so on.... just put in the work and it will pay off eventually
Old 11-03-05, 08:02 AM   #8
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leady
in all honesty, your best bet is to not try taking short cuts, do it off your own back, make the contacts yourself, it shows ur willing to put in the work and determined, n the people who matter will recognise that sooner or later.

all i have is a simple .cjb.net website n a few music pages, n myspace, thats more or less as far as my net shit goes(obviously posting on forums) but everything i do is done to help expand my music and audience, but the promoters i know, producers, label owners, DJ's(club and radio) ive made them all myself, ive approached them all off my own back with a proffessional attitude and its done me wonders, got me producers ready to hand me free beats, DJ's allways willing to play my music and askin when new stuff is out and promoters allways askin me to perform, get to know people and they eventually put u on to sum1 they know n so on n so on.... just put in the work and it will pay off eventually

YUP...iz wut I'm in the process of doing now...jus finalizing my product...etc.

I will be hitting up clubs/colleges here in the D.C. area very, very soon...

that coupled to Phenom's advice on pushin your Tapes on the street should boost my audience in this area...

after that..GLOBAL!...lol...ahh, I'm jus gettin' psyched

Old 11-03-05, 08:08 AM   #9
leady
Addicted

think ur psyched now???

wait for the first day u go out, thats immense, wait for ur first ever performance, the feeling you get after u come off stage is fuckin amasing, n the best feeling ever is when people actually walk up to you n be like "im feelin that man, u got skills, mad respect for what u doin" n shake ya hand n shit, makes it all feel worth while
Old 11-03-05, 08:11 AM   #10
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
think ur psyched now???

wait for the first day u go out, thats immense, wait for ur first ever performance, the feeling you get after u come off stage is fuckin amasing, n the best feeling ever is when people actually walk up to you n be like "im feelin that man, u got skills, mad respect for what u doin" n shake ya hand n shit, makes it all feel worth while

dopeness...can't wait for all dat...I'll def. keep yall posted
Old 11-03-05, 08:18 AM   #11
leady
Addicted

if u gonna perform though i highly reccommend u find a DJ and a hypeman... sum1 u can work well with n try new ideas with.

the hypeman is meant to jump round stage, help create alot more energy and ad-lib you.... makes it easier for crowed interaction during tracks, and gets the crowed hyped better.... no1 wants to see 1 man on a stage spittin lyrics, ppl wanna see sum1 on stage spittin his verse best he can whilst sum1 else is on stage bringing more energy n gettin the crowed involved whilst hes spittin n shit... n its best to have a regular DJ so u know he knows your set n wont mess it up n it also gives u the chance to try alot of things new when droppin live too.
Old 11-03-05, 08:23 AM   #12
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
if u gonna perform though i highly reccommend u find a DJ and a hypeman... sum1 u can work well with n try new ideas with.

the hypeman is meant to jump round stage, help create alot more energy and ad-lib you.... makes it easier for crowed interaction during tracks, and gets the crowed hyped better.... no1 wants to see 1 man on a stage spittin lyrics, ppl wanna see sum1 on stage spittin his verse best he can whilst sum1 else is on stage bringing more energy n gettin the crowed involved whilst hes spittin n shit... n its best to have a regular DJ so u know he knows your set n wont mess it up n it also gives u the chance to try alot of things new when droppin live too.

word yo...I actually ran through a couple names in my head this morning for a hype man...this nigga Danny I used to roll wit...still on the corner...smokin...lol

got shot...I hadn't seen him in 3 years until last month...I'd def. scoop him up and ask him to be my hype man...

and as for a DJ...Imma try to find some locals ones...i dunno...I'd hate to use the phone book...but I don't know how else to unless I approach various ones at clubs....

Question: How many tracks are usually in a set. I was thinkin 4 or so...Plus an intro...

I got an idea for some shit...like some Michael Jackon/Bill CLinton larger than life shit

haaa

BASS rumblin...bustin out speakers type shit

lol

but yea...I'm in the process of figurin all this out now...
Old 11-03-05, 08:50 AM   #13
leady
Addicted

it depends.

mainly on the time slot the promoter/manaer allows you to use, my set is 30 minutes long.

depending what tracks i do, i could do like 4-5 songs(with talkin in between a couple of them) n spit an acapella freestyle half way through jus to add variation to the set, sumtimes ill just spit song after song, it depends how i feel at the time really.

but the best way to do ur set to keep it interesting is.

come in with sumthing that introduces u nicely n instantly gets attention n makes them want more, so obviously summin energetic, then try summin maybe abit calmer, then say a smooth joint, then bring it back up slightly, and when u end, u wanna finish your best song ever, the one that ppl remember n walk away like "damn that last song was fuckin insane, i cant get it out my head".

as for DJ's... again, just approach them... i approached my DJ, and he travels anywhere now to back me, n he is classed as one of the best in the country, won plenty of DJ championships n shit.... but he lives too far away so im havin to try find sum1 abit more local, but again its all on approaching them, professional attitude and polite... if they act a prick to u, just brush it off, stay cool n move along.... no point wasting ur time.
Old 11-03-05, 08:53 AM   #14
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
it depends.

mainly on the time slot the promoter/manaer allows you to use, my set is 30 minutes long.

depending what tracks i do, i could do like 4-5 songs(with talkin in between a couple of them) n spit an acapella freestyle half way through jus to add variation to the set, sumtimes ill just spit song after song, it depends how i feel at the time really.

but the best way to do ur set to keep it interesting is.

come in with sumthing that introduces u nicely n instantly gets attention n makes them want more, so obviously summin energetic, then try summin maybe abit calmer, then say a smooth joint, then bring it back up slightly, and when u end, u wanna finish your best song ever, the one that ppl remember n walk away like "damn that last song was fuckin insane, i cant get it out my head".

as for DJ's... again, just approach them... i approached my DJ, and he travels anywhere now to back me, n he is classed as one of the best in the country, won plenty of DJ championships n shit.... but he lives too far away so im havin to try find sum1 abit more local, but again its all on approaching them, professional attitude and polite... if they act a prick to u, just brush it off, stay cool n move along.... no point wasting ur time.

word...preciate the info...Imma go ahead and burn the instrus to what could be my set on CD...

I want to do an intro as well...can I do it?
nah mean...shit to introduce myself and get people hype?
Old 11-03-05, 09:07 AM   #15
leady
Addicted

i dnt see many doin intros, it can work but can also fuck up...

me when i perform i usually get introduced, n when i go on stage i sort of bounce on my toes like a boxer, show the cried im ready to rip, n the first thing allways say is "whats happenin *city name* make sum noise you cunts" n jump into the first song.... then after the first song, i talk, depends if i been there before or not as to wether i introduce myself, i usually do anyway for ppl who havent seen me before, so ill be like "so how you doin tonight??? yeah, sum1 of u may know of me allready, sum of u wont, so for those who dont, my names leady, this is my man yezza *yezza says sup* n this is my DJ jabbathakut, say hello to the ppl jabba..." thats when he scratches n cuts up a sample of sum1 sayin hello motherfuckers, n then we introduce the next song n kick into it...... thats how i do the beginning of my set anyway but every1 has they own methods.... jus practice n see what u feel works best for u