RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-06, 01:50 PM   #1
Tha Q.
OYD

Hip Hop as a family...who're the matriarchs/patriarchs

IP: 64CA 6C26

1st off, I love rap music. I love hip hop culture. I'm not into all aspects of the culture as much as others, but I can respect those who are. Personally, I relate more to the actual music of hip hop than grafiti, dress, breakin, or other elements. It's the music that I feel in love with first and foremost. That brings me to the point of this thread. I am pissed at recent attempts of old heads to "define" rap. Here's my problem. When rap first hit the scene in the late 70s, early 80s, it was all about reppin your set, yourself, and your skills. Rap has evolved to emcompass many forms and topics of dicussion. Don't get me wrong, I believe in respecting those who have come before me. That's a must. However, those people can be wrong. And, in my opinion, they are wrong in this instance. Rap is somewhat one dimensional on the radio. When I turn it on, I almost immediately turn it off. Most of what I hear is catered toward young, impetuous teens who are obsessed with bling. I would also like to hear different forms of rap, WHATEVER they are. These old-heads who claim to "represent rap" are merely using the current denigration of the art as a means to promote their own agendas. I wonder just how much homo hop those "elders in rap" bump. I wonder how much Christian rap they push on their labels. I wonder how much true "underground" rap they encourage people to make. See, when it comes down to it, it's all about the bottom line. It's about the almighty green dollar. If a gay rapper comes out with a dope ass LP, most str8 guys would be afraid to buy it or even bump it for fear of being labeled "gay" or "homo". It's the same reason "Brokeback Mountain" only took in 70 million dollars in the U.S. when "Titanic", another love story, but between the traditional man and woman, took in almost a billion dollars. "Brokeback Mountain" is receiving critical acclaim everywhere. It's being honored and deserves everything it gets. It's a story about love and matters of the heart. And, anyone who watches that movie and claims they didn't see the point doesn't have a heart to begin with. Maybe they should stay sheltered. My point is, there are some great underground rappers out there. There are ALL TYPES of rap out there. I fear that these "elders in rap" will exclude certain forms in their quest to broaden the scope of rap. It's ironic and the affect is adverse. I don't feel they own rap. I don't feel the labels should own rap, but they do. The people have a voice though. Give us a choice. Have different hours for when certain types of rap are played. For example, they could have a homo hop night, or a christian rap hour. WHat's wrong with that? Give me as a lover of rap a choice. And, if someone doesn't want to listen to a certain genre of rap, they're certainly free to turn it off or not turn it on to begin with.

Rap can not be contained. It is a free artform. ANyone has a right to represent themselves using that genre. I just wish people would stop being fake and trying to perpetuate their own agendas.

Give me a choice.
Send a message via AIM to Tha Q.   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-06, 02:08 PM   #3
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMPIN aint easy
well u completly wrong cause all the older heads are jsut demanding that all forums of hip-hop be played to the general public not just 1 kind so if that happened ye there shit wud get played but so wud loads of other forms of hip-hop get played its just about variety in the music so it aint labeled 1 thing

And I'm telling you that I won't believe that until I see it. When they say "all forms" what do they mean? Do they mean homo hop? Do they mean Christian and political rap? I'm afraid that "all forms" simply means, less gratuitous forms of what's already out.

Come on people.
Old 02-23-06, 02:19 PM   #5
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Lmfao Stop Sayin Homo Hop Lol That Shit Makes Me Laugh Everytime Quit Stereotypiun That Shit Rap Gets A Catogory Names If Is A Dif Kind Of Rap Not A Dif Kind Of Rapper U My Friend Are Discriminatin Bout That Shit

So Do U Consider Eminem White Hop??
N 50 Cent Black Hop???

You're wrong about that. There's an entire culture of gay rappers underground. Homo hop is only ONE NAME for it. Get real. There's a difference between a guy sayin, "Girl, I wanna lick you," and a guy sayin "Girl, I wanna lick ur brother."

Stop acting like there isn't a line between hetero and homosexuality. I can turn on a radio and hear 50 cent talk about chicks he wanna hit. But, how often can I turn on the radio and hear a gay rapper talkin about dudes he wanna hit?

NEVER. And, that's what I'm talking about.

Old 02-23-06, 02:22 PM   #7
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
it can still go under the title rap or hip-hop instead of homo hop lmfao

You're incorrect son. Homo hop is a culture. It has validity. I'm not being funny. Look it up.
Old 02-23-06, 02:27 PM   #8
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: C6E1 4261

Homo Hop sounds like an insult Q. =/ Ya'll shouldn't segregate yourselves like that. It's not like ya'll gonna rap about being gay 24/7.
Old 02-23-06, 02:32 PM   #10
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♣♣♣♣
Homo Hop sounds like an insult Q. =/ Ya'll shouldn't segregate yourselves like that. It's not like ya'll gonna rap about being gay 24/7.

I dunno where that name came from. But, it's one name I've heard referring to underground gay rap. It's more than just someone who is gay who raps. Homo hop deals with guys who are into the whole hip hop culture (dress, slang, etc.) who happen to be gay.

And Effecx...I believe people who identify themselves as homo hop see themselves as part of hip hop. The problem is, hip hop doesn't always recognize them.
Old 02-23-06, 02:35 PM   #12
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Ya'll should just say ya'll MC's and leave it at that. Ya'll need to gain respect that's all it is. I don't think ppl are gonna respect the name homo hop.. at all.
Old 02-23-06, 02:37 PM   #13
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
SO MAKE THEM RECOGNIZE IT EMINEM MADE ALL OF RAP RECOGNIZE HIM HE DIDNT JUS GO UP N START UP HIS OWN CULTURE TO CATER TO HIS DIFFERENCES COMPARED TO MOST HIP-HOP ARTISTS IN PUBLIC EYE

Yea, but you and I both know that Eminem wasn't the first white rapper who sold millions. So, in a sense, he wasn't breaking ground. He just happened to be the most talented white rapper we've seen thus far. I'm quite sure there are gay rappers who are just as talented as anyone else out there who just don't want to compromise who they are. They don't want a "gay Jay Z". Like I said, all these str8 rappers rap about whatever they want, without repercussion. If hip hop truly is an open culture, then we would hear more variety in rap, including gay rappers who have something else to say other than, "Yea, my dick is bigger than yours."
Old 02-23-06, 02:39 PM   #14
Tha Q.
OYD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♣♣♣♣
Ya'll should just say ya'll MC's and leave it at that. Ya'll need to gain respect that's all it is. I don't think ppl are gonna respect the name homo hop.. at all.

It's underground. And, again, I'm not sure gay rappers use that name or not. But, I've seen it used many times to refer to gay underground hip hop. I'm on a mailing list for underground gay rappers. You'll be surprised at how many of them there are out there.
Old 02-23-06, 02:42 PM   #15
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Oh I see what you sayin, well ya'll better have a totally different sound that justifies a new culture. Or I'm going to kill everyone and everything, and bitch and complain.