RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-06, 04:32 PM   #1
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Text Record: 6-11
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
the diffrence between hip hop back then from today

IP: 0646 A8AC

damn i know im practicaly tellin u sumthin u already know but it never loses it's effect on me everytime this subject is brought up so i'll share it wit rv
just thought this shit was really true and mos def was really speaking the truth

Hip-Hop will never be what it once was, there's no getting around that. It began as a form of expression that was of us, for us, and by us in many ways that it will never be again. We watched it grow and bloom within our community, then saw it shift into the American mainstream, who now leases it to us with no option to buy (as a friend once put it). For those of us who saw this evolution and experienced both sides of it, Hip-Hop will never again mean to us what it once did.

From its birth in the 70's through much of the 80's, Hip-Hop was basically a self-contained entity within the community that created it. If you were an emcee stepping into the studio to make a record, your target audience was basically your own community.. you were one of us talking to us, and the value of your music came from how it resonated with our own shared experiences. There was no possibility of your song getting regular rotation on any radio station, or your video getting played anywhere but Ralph Mcdaniels' Video Music Box and local public access shows. No chance of your work being acknowledged by any such mainstream outlet, so you had no concern for making music to please those outside ears. All the criteria, all the parameters set for the expression came from within the community that created it. It was a means for us to communicate with ourselves.

But nowadays the playing field is completely different, and we have a completely different relationship with the music, both as producers and consumers. When someone steps into the studio now their success hinges on pleasing MTV, Clear Channel Radio, and the mainstream american consumers that these outlets have made hip-hop's primary audience. This audience is kids from outside of the community the music came from, who do not share the experiences that drive the music. As Mos Def says:

"The difference between '88 and '98 is that most of the people who were fans were also active in the culture in some way. In '88 you'd have kids watching Video Music Box in their living room, working out dance routines. That might seem real trivial, but that is a fan watching these videos to learn these dances created by people in their community, more likely than not, somebody that probably lived on their block. It was interactive. Now the average hip-hop fan is into hip-hop because they like watching somebody else live."

It's become much more of a spectator sport than a participant sport?

"Definitely. I mean, let's be real -- these white kids in the suburbs that buy their first Wu Tang record and lose their damn mind -- they could play an active part in the culture if they wanted to, but that's not why they bought that Wu Tang record. They bought that Wu Tang record to live out their fantasy of themselves as Raekwon or Ghost or Method or whoever. A lot of hip-hop nowadays seems like the primitive prototype for what virtual reality is going to be in the next few years -- live somebody else's life, feel somebody else's pain and frustration."

I don't feel the need to be as judgmental about those suburban white kids as Mos seems here, but the dynamic he describes is undeniably at play. In today's world the ideal hip-hop product is not one that rings true for those who shares the artists' experiences, but one that provides a vivid, cinematic fantasy for those who will never share the experiences conveyed. This has radically changed the creative process, or should I say the manufacturing process of hip-hop, much more than I think even most artists realize. We also touched on these issues in my interview with Q-Tip (click part 6).
Send a message via AIM to Mentor Send a message via MSN to Mentor   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 04:38 PM   #2
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 7BE2 A0A1

Shut the fuck up faggot ass bitch I hope you die. Omfg I'ma pray to every religion that you do. Fuck you zach.
Old 05-14-06, 04:40 PM   #3
locknes
its WU muthafucka

Text Record: 0-0
IP: AA3D 2764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeph
Shut the fuck up faggot ass bitch I hope you die. Omfg I'ma pray to every religion that you do. Fuck you zach.

calm down indeph
Old 05-14-06, 04:44 PM   #4
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indeph

did i say sumthin wrong
Send a message via AIM to Mentor Send a message via MSN to Mentor   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 04:50 PM   #5
Indeph
Not_Indeph

Audio Record: 3-0
IP: 7BE2 A0A1

You sunk my battleship.
Old 05-14-06, 05:22 PM   #6
Shear Kaughn
Broke as hell

IP: B8B4 D1AE

i ddin't read it...i have a phobia for long threads........

i'm imporiving with my rehab sessions though......
Old 05-14-06, 05:31 PM   #7
Ysdat
Whys That?

Text Record: 11-0
Audio Record: 2-0
IP: 5285 DC82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor

Hip-Hop will never be what it once was, there's no getting around that. It began as a form of expression that was of us, for us, and by us in many ways that it will never be again.

I read up to here and relised this is a fucking waste of my time.
Hip hop for SOME has lost its esence, but for alot of us, we still cherish and use the music aswell as the art forms for what they were orginally for.

Quote:
interview with Q-Tip (click part 6) .

^proof you copy'd and pasted this entire thing, nice one.

Last edited by Poetic Artist : 05-14-06 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 05:40 PM   #8
Dirty Nigga
E-Style, Bitch.

Text Record: 33-18
IP: C799 71B2

LOL ^

I wasnt gonna read this shit anyway, but lol @ biting interviews...

People Hate What They Can't Conquer
Send a message via MSN to Dirty Nigga   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-06, 05:53 PM   #9
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Quote:
damn i know im practicaly tellin u sumthin u already know but it never loses it's effect on me everytime this subject is brought up so i'll share it wit rvjust thought this shit was really true and mos def was really speaking the truth

yea nice attempt at makin it look like i tried makin this my own interview if u dumbasses werent blind im obviously not gonna bite a interview wit mos def in it or anybody wit celebrity satus DUH...whoever fuckin said i tried makin this off as my own...u think ima just try ta bite an interview that has mod def in it??? obviously i copyied and pasted it..i didnt think i'd fuckin have ta tell u that ta get the picture
Old 05-14-06, 05:54 PM   #10
Ysdat
Whys That?

yeh my bad.

but um, calling me a dumbass? you sure you want to continue?
Old 05-14-06, 05:56 PM   #11
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

naww i didnt mean that just getting sick of people tryin ta downplay everything i do thats all.. no beef
Old 05-14-06, 06:01 PM   #12
Ysdat
Whys That?

yeh. But for real. One person feelings towards hip hop wont be another.

If your seriously feeling that hip hop is dead or about to be, then thats a problem within your own heart.

If your easily going to follow the trend of "raps dead" then thats on you, but if its alive in your soul, then how the fuck can it be dead?
Old 05-14-06, 06:49 PM   #13
Mentor
a.k.a prozak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Artist
yeh. But for real. One person feelings towards hip hop wont be another.

If your seriously feeling that hip hop is dead or about to be, then thats a problem within your own heart.

If your easily going to follow the trend of "raps dead" then thats on you, but if its alive in your soul, then how the fuck can it be dead?

im just sayin like not the art but the industry is dead, shit on mtv and thats coming out on cd and all these new artists thats coming out recently has all been wack, all the old emcees from the past is either dead or sold out
i mean the actual art of hip hop/rap will always be alive to the people who stay true to it but the rap industry is dead, the shit wont ever be the same anymore....come on now can u really compare rappers like mike jones and slim thug to the old eminem or old dr dre..can u really compare rappers like young jeezy and rick ross to biggie and pac??? or mobb deep's let's party to the days where they put out shook ones and all that....can u really compare em's just lose it to the way i am..or snoop's recent shit wit "whats my name"??? nawww the industry now days is dead literrally
some people might disagree but those the same kids that like rick ross and 50 cent and all of them

Last edited by Mentor : 05-14-06 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 08:22 PM   #14
locknes
its WU muthafucka

IP: A040 F640

just wait for cuban LinX II is will revive hip hop
Old 05-14-06, 09:24 PM   #15
Ysdat
Whys That?

Quote:
im just sayin like not the art but the industry is dead, shit on mtv and thats coming out on cd and all these new artists thats coming out recently has all been wack, all the old emcees from the past is either dead or sold out
i mean the actual art of hip hop/rap will always be alive to the people who stay true to it but the rap industry is dead, the shit wont ever be the same anymore....come on now can u really compare rappers like mike jones and slim thug to the old eminem or old dr dre..can u really compare rappers like young jeezy and rick ross to biggie and pac??? or mobb deep's let's party to the days where they put out shook ones and all that....can u really compare em's just lose it to the way i am..or snoop's recent shit wit "whats my name"??? nawww the industry now days is dead literrally
some people might disagree but those the same kids that like rick ross and 50 cent and all of them

man.

dead is not the word your looking for. For rap to be "dead" there will have to no physical form of it and simply memorys.

death means gone, no more, deceased, never to return. Rap is far from "dead".

What your saying is rap is too glamorised, theres too much money behind it, theres alot of candy ass bullshit being made due to radio and airtime creating a huge amount of competition.
If rap was "dead" then there would be no need for rappers to sell out, we could simply keep makinbg music for us.

rap is not dead, rap is at a all time high in the way of commercial music success.