RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Hip-Hop Talk > Hip-Hop Talk Archives
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-04, 11:49 AM   #1
selah david
New to RV

Text Record: 0-1
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
Exclamation Twelve point system for hip-hop

IP: F694 DF56

I just read this bomb ass(ha-ha, throw back slang) article at allhiphop.com about this 12 point system to improve hip-hop. Post yall feedback, add some more points yourself, tell me if you agree or disagree.I just printed a copy and I'm gonna try to model myself after this(even though I'm not a rapper). Holla back

1. Stop the cursing. If you are going to reach the people, you need to be refined lyrically. You will have one up on the radio industry who tries to ignore you.

You must also make yourself loved by the parents of the children who love Hip Hop. Keeping it clean on wax is an easy way to gain an upper hand in the streets and in the industry at the same time. Plus you don't have to always make clean versions of everything- so it saves you money. In the movie Malcolm X's original mentor says that a man curses because he does not have the tools to tell you what’s really on his mind. So chill out and tell us what’s on your mind. Gangstarr's Step in the Arena is a perfect example of how you can stay REAL and not curse.

2. Stop using the word "nigga". The word "nigger/nigga" was a lyrical tool of empowerment for the Hip Hop movement during the late 80's and early 90's. It came at a time when Black people needed to counter the hateful words being put upon them for so long. Now, the word has indeed been diluted in its power (it does not hurt most Black people to be called that name anymore). However, it also lost its painful historical relevance. We need to remind people of where the word came from, so it is never taken lightly. If you are unclear on the history of it, go read "100 Years of Lynchings" by Ralph Ginzburg.

3. Read. The more you know, the more you can rap about. Read about the history of your people as well as the histories and cultures of others. Nobody is asking you to become Nerdball McGee- but you should open a book. Choose a topic and go learn something you did not know the day before. Then bring that into Hip Hop. Ice Cube, KRS ONE and Tupac Shakur were arguably at their best when they were reading.

4. Rap about YOUR Struggle. MC's and rappers who are remembered are story tellers. Slick Rick, Ice Cube, Tupac and Rakim are able to bring you into their world and allow you to see from behind their eyes. This should be your goal as an MC. Tell us about your fam, your area, your personal journey in a way that no one else can tell it. If you cannot do that, you will certainly fail to impress and inspire. Tell us about your city. Nobody cared about the Queens, Compton, or Vallejo until MC Shan, Eazy E, and E-40 told the world stories about where they came from.

5. Stop following trends, create them. The rap industry tries to create cookie cutter rappers now. They all come complete with pimp cups, loc's, butt naked women and saggy pants. That has its place. But we need more people pushing the lyrical envelope. Brothers and sisters don't try to flow with originality anymore. They just try to copy a carbon copy. Do not be afraid to find out who you are and challenge the trends across the board. N.W.A., Biggie Smalls, Beastie Boys, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Public Enemy, Kwame, Paris, De La Soul, Queen Latifah, and Eminem (YES, I said EMINEM) all take creative chances musically and lyrically. From your look to your flow, be original in your life and on wax.

6. Respect Women. This is a subject that cannot be discussed too much. We need to stop using the word bitch and hoe (I'm talking to myself as well as y'all). We need to stop objectifying all women. By undermining them, we undermine the cornerstone of all civilization. This is a serious thing. You can still make a dope jam and show respect to the women. Remember that every "hoe" and "bitch" is someone else’s sister, daughter, mother- maybe even yours. So clean yourself up. I'm not asking you to take estrogen shots, watch Oprah 24/7 and wear a wig. Just show some respect.

7. Don't forget to rock the party. This is a major problem in Hip Hop. Most of the MC's who try to be conscious. They get so caught up in their mission that they forget to have fun. If all you do is spit politics and stuff, people never get to see you shine creatively. Show the people you have skills to rock the party, and then give them something to take home.

8. Learn an instrument. Since its inception Hip Hop has gotten far by sampling. The record industry has come down hard on us at times for doing it. Sampling has served its purpose, but it is time to show the world our full creativity. Learn an instrument for yourself. If you do, you will gain a new respect for those you sample and you'll get new insights on how to make music for yourself.

9. Listen to all kinds of music from the past. This is crucial. Part of the reason Hip Hop is so stale is because Hip Hop only listens to Hip Hop, nowadays. Chuck D, Mix Master Mike, DJ QBERT, KRS ONE, P Ditty Poor Righteous Teachers, Premier, Jungle Brothers, Marley Marl, Timbaland, DJ Quick, Dr. Dre all listen to other forms of music. You should also read the biographies of some of these artists as well (something I'm about to get into). They listen to Jazz, Reggae, Blues, Rock, Heavy Metal, Symphony, Salsa, Zen flutes etc. This is a BIG part of what makes them great. Now, go be great!!!

10. Acknowledge the beauty of the other Hip Hop elements. This is a HUGE problem. Sometimes I think it is talked about too much. But the bottom line is that if you don't have a full appreciation for graf writing, b-boy'ing, popping, locking, and turntablism you are missing a lot of tools that you can both learn from and incorporate into your shows. A lot of people confuse appreciation of these elements with being a hippy or dealing with things that are not "real".

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Don't sleep on that.

11. Choose a Cause. Once you know who you are, it is important that you ask yourself "What will I champion in Hip Hop besides my lyrics?" You care about education? Poverty issues? Are you just a party MC? Are you gonna champion your culture? Politics? Child abuse? Domestic violence? WHAT?!?!? Choose a cause then make sure you mention it from time to time. NOT ON EVERY SONG- because you will turn people off.

12. Never forget the poor. This music is from them, for them, forever. Knowing that fact always, IS KEEPING IT REAL.

Visit allhiphop.com for summore tight articles (tight is gonna be throw back slang in aminute...it's getting sort of played.)
Politics and politrix are the same thing because the whole point of the political process is to trick us into giving a particular candidate our favor. So why do people feel so clever when they use the word politrix?
Old 09-24-04, 12:04 PM   #2
Scenario
..:Merking Mc's:..

Text Record: 13-6
IP: 666C F77E

I disagree with alot of that, the articles says that hip hop is trying to make cookie cutout rappers well so are those articles, if we follow some of those we will all turn into a will smith or mase, i respect both of them but some of this stuff is just stupid in my opinion. I do agree with some of the stuff though like rep where u from.
Old 09-24-04, 12:09 PM   #3
Sir-Victimizer
New to RB

Text Record: 0-0
IP: 24C2 0510

Where in tha hell did u get all of that information from damn
But on alot of that shit I disagree also

Net Record
-Win- -Lost- - K.O.-
| 49 | 15 | 18 |

<marquee>---Killin Yall nigga's on that Lyrical Shit, mayonaise color benz I push Miracle Whips--- </marquee>
Send a message via AIM to Sir-Victimizer Send a message via Yahoo to Sir-Victimizer   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-04, 12:21 PM   #4
selah david
New to RV

hmmm

IP: F694 DF56

Which ones do you disagree with and why? Let's get some dialouge goin people. Like, I semi-disagree with the curising one, because we should be able to express ourselves and make better use of the english vocabualry, but if it's used with a purpose and to grab the essence of the emotion then I dont have a problem with it. And the whole purpose of the article is to provide some type of guide line to promote originality, so if you turn into will smith or mase then you missed the whole point of the article.
Politics and politrix are the same thing because the whole point of the political process is to trick us into giving a particular candidate our favor. So why do people feel so clever when they use the word politrix?
Old 09-24-04, 12:29 PM   #5
La Cosa Nostra
Bangs like bikini attol

Text Record: 54-0
Audio Record: 5-0
Graphics Record: 1-0
IP: 06B8 DBF2

This was WACK, except for these points..

3. Read. The more you know, the more you can rap about. Read about the history of your people as well as the histories and cultures of others. Nobody is asking you to become Nerdball McGee- but you should open a book. Choose a topic and go learn something you did not know the day before. Then bring that into Hip Hop. Ice Cube, KRS ONE and Tupac Shakur were arguably at their best when they were reading.

4. Rap about YOUR Struggle. MC's and rappers who are remembered are story tellers. Slick Rick, Ice Cube, Tupac and Rakim are able to bring you into their world and allow you to see from behind their eyes. This should be your goal as an MC. Tell us about your fam, your area, your personal journey in a way that no one else can tell it. If you cannot do that, you will certainly fail to impress and inspire. Tell us about your city. Nobody cared about the Queens, Compton, or Vallejo until MC Shan, Eazy E, and E-40 told the world stories about where they came from.

5. Stop following trends, create them. The rap industry tries to create cookie cutter rappers now. They all come complete with pimp cups, loc's, butt naked women and saggy pants. That has its place. But we need more people pushing the lyrical envelope. Brothers and sisters don't try to flow with originality anymore. They just try to copy a carbon copy. Do not be afraid to find out who you are and challenge the trends across the board. N.W.A., Biggie Smalls, Beastie Boys, Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Public Enemy, Kwame, Paris, De La Soul, Queen Latifah, and Eminem (YES, I said EMINEM) all take creative chances musically and lyrically. From your look to your flow, be original in your life and on wax.

7. Don't forget to rock the party. This is a major problem in Hip Hop. Most of the MC's who try to be conscious. They get so caught up in their mission that they forget to have fun. If all you do is spit politics and stuff, people never get to see you shine creatively. Show the people you have skills to rock the party, and then give them something to take home.

10. Acknowledge the beauty of the other Hip Hop elements. This is a HUGE problem. Sometimes I think it is talked about too much. But the bottom line is that if you don't have a full appreciation for graf writing, b-boy'ing, popping, locking, and turntablism you are missing a lot of tools that you can both learn from and incorporate into your shows. A lot of people confuse appreciation of these elements with being a hippy or dealing with things that are not "real".

^Those are some pretty decent points..^

The rest is just pointless.
Old 09-24-04, 03:46 PM   #6
selah david
New to RV

Talking why are

IP: 00FA 9D68

why are 2,5,6,8 and 9 wack? I think it might be of great importance that we stop saying nigga, show more respect to our women, broaden our musical taste, and be more original. Thanks for responding
Old 10-09-04, 06:21 PM   #7
Reverse
.[M]ind.[I]ntellect.[F]low.

Text Record: 1-2
IP: 53A1 B36C

most of this shit i disagree on... but poet does have a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike
" who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones who mike jones" -mike jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by res8qn3j
personally i think all jarule's songs are da bomb

Roflmmfao
Send a message via AIM to Reverse Send a message via MSN to Reverse Send a message via Yahoo to Reverse   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 11:38 PM   #8
Ike
No Relation To Tina

Text Record: 9-1
IP: A1C0 0CC2

i agree with most of that...because i rap and dont curse....but i still have my own style....its not like a will smith or mase....its just me....one of the best articles i have read in a while
Send a message via AIM to Ike   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 11:54 PM   #9
Ras Tafari
Light Weight

IP: A621 A1C1

I agree with 90% of that.I liked how you explained the curse thing:
"Malcolm X's original mentor says that a man curses because he does not have the tools to tell you what’s really on his mind"
that couldn't be more close to the truth.
Nice points man, I support you on every one except for number 2.If people want to say nigga,let them say it.Trends change over the years and the word nigga going from disrespectful to a salutation is the trend of the moemtn.Sure, you can change it,but you'd have to be original.
I liked what you said about not calling women "hoes" and "bitches",cause without women,the wordld would be meaningless so we have to respect them as long as we can.
Nice points,nice thread.
It's nice to see a thread jump out at you from all the repetitive Tupac vs.BIG threads and I'm leaving threads.
Nice work.
Send a message via Yahoo to Ras Tafari   Reply With Quote