RapVerse.com Community
 Phenom | Kingz | Dabatos | TonySelf | Tha Q | Half Breed | Tito | 7th End RV Radio  

Go Back   RapVerse.com Community > The block > Lyricist Lounge
User Name
Password
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-05, 11:00 AM   #1
Tremendous
Aiming for Heads

Audio Record: 2-1
Teen Deabates on Selling Virginty

IP: 28AD 5545

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4482913.stm

Inside a tiny breeze block house, beneath the dusty hills on the desert outskirts of Lima, religious paintings like the Virgin and Child and the Sacred Heart share wall space with photographs of a beguiling young woman posing as a model.

Graciela's bid to sell her virginity provoked outrage in Peru
The Bible is open at John, Chapter 11, telling the story of the Resurrection of Lazarus.

Behind the curtains which separate a tiny bedroom from the living room, lies a sick 43-year-old woman, whose daughter, Graciela, is prepared to take drastic measures to help her.

Graciela - or Gracia as she prefers to be known - has been working since the age of eight, left school at 15 and now three years later earns around $60 a month acting or modelling.

Her mother is too sick to work and she does not want her 12-year-old brother to miss school.

But Gracia says the money she earns is not enough and every month she worries about not being able to pay the bills or having to say No when her brother Guillermo comes back from school asking for money for books.

Theirs is a story like thousands of other Peruvians who live in poverty, but for one fact.

I felt the hopelessness of wanting to move forward, wanting to study, and you just don't get the opportunity because it's all about money

Graciela Yataco
Last month, Gracia decided to sell her virginity to pay for her mother's medical treatment and to improve her family's quality of life.

"My mother was ill and my brother and me too. [And I felt] the utter hopelessness of wanting to move forward, wanting to study, be someone and you just don't get the opportunity because it's all about money," says Gracia.

"Sometimes you find yourself at a crossroads and you see no way out," she adds, staring at the terracotta painted walls.

"You stop and see there's only thing that's going to help you and perhaps it only has to happen once in your life.

"That's what I thought. And you never have to do it again.

"You have to get on with it, without looking back, because you can study, work with this money and help lots of people who are poor like me."

'Prostitution'

She said she offered to sell her virginity to the highest bidder, advertising herself in newspapers, on television and the internet.

Childhood: Graciela (standing) became the main provider for her family
It did not take long before many in this staunchly Catholic country were up in arms.

Some said her actions were nothing short of prostitution. Others said she needed psychological help.

She says some people admired her ingenuity, saying she was doing more than the teenage girls who lost their virginity in the parks because they wrongly thought they were in love.

Her virginity almost became a question of national pride, with some commentators and chat show hosts accusing her of trying to damage Peru's reputation.

But Gracia was unfazed by the criticisms.

"People in Peru are opportunistic and they see everyone else's problems, but never their own," she says.

"I'm just a person who's trying to get ahead in life. I've always worked since I was little, but here there are no opportunities for young people.

I came out and said publicly what my situation was and nobody, nobody has been capable of saying, thank you, I'll help you with something

Graciela Yataco
"They don't bother asking what's going on in my life, what I am like and what has forced me to take this decision. They only judge me and point their fingers at me.

"I came out and said publicly what my situation was and nobody, nobody has been capable of saying, thank you, I'll help you with something.

"And there are people who have loads of money, loads of jobs."

Graciela laughs as she recounts how a Canadian man offered her $1.5m (£780,000) to have sex with her.

"He said he'd prefer I didn't do it, but if I was going to do it with anyone, it should be with someone who treated me right and I think he knew his bid wasn't going to be topped.

"He was really happy when I said No."

Publicity stunt?

Almost a month after Gracia advertised her virginity for sale, her economic situation has not changed.

But her moral situation has. She says she has decided not to give up her virginity for any price.

"Mum lives with me 24 hours a day, and respects my decision because I am an adult.

"But she was giving me advice, and explaining how my life might be if I did this: What example would I give my children, what kind of man would accept me with this past, would it make me happy, this money?

"Obviously it's a necessity, but it's not everything, it's a bad necessity and it made me realise that this money wasn't going to make me happy, I could make myself happy with my own merits."

Some critics have suggested that Gracia offered to sell her virginity solely to court publicity and never actually intended to go through with it.

Only she will know if that is the case. Certainly, her arguments are convincing, but perhaps so too is her acting.

But what she has done, indisputably, is come out and say: The way many people live in Peru is wrong and I want to do something about it.

Here's here pic
Old 04-28-05, 11:06 AM   #2
Sean Gunner
GG Haterz

IP: CCA8 57B3

So she said she'd do it, then she didn't do it? 1.5 mil man, that's a lot of money. She's good looking too. It's sad that teenagers have to do that to be able to eat and drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Visions
50 nickle=less than 50 cent, go back to school you idiot
Seangunner@gmail.com
For Anyone Who Wants to Talk to Me

^^I think this explains my view on gangster rap perfectly.
Old 04-28-05, 11:18 AM   #3
Tremendous
Aiming for Heads

She said she never done it
She said she never tried
Fuck the thrid bar
That bitch is a muthafuckin lie
Old 04-28-05, 11:35 AM   #5
L. Veracity
You Cant Handle The Truth

Audio Record: 0-2
IP: 6B57 ABCC

werd, it's sad that people have to even think of doingsomething like this when all she's trying to do is survive...the criticism is awrranted, but they did nothing to help her situation...but again, nobody should have to think about doing something like this...

and quit trying to be funny quoting that Ludacris song, it's really not a funny situation at all, whether she did or not isn't the issue, it's the fact that she felt she had to that matters...her despiration for the survival and well-being of her family...

^ WE - RAWWCAST - 24/7 ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artik Phrost
LV - real talk as usual..dope shit
you're like the best story teller over a beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseOne
my whole album is inspired by you LV.
thats how i got this classic album.
Send a message via AIM to L. Veracity Send a message via MSN to L. Veracity Send a message via Yahoo to L. Veracity   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-05, 12:09 PM   #6
Tremendous
Aiming for Heads

I wouldn've went to church and robbed collection plates
Old 04-28-05, 12:22 PM   #7
Spektikul
The Original Half Ass King

Text Record: 36-0
Audio Record: 0-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: C431 103C

lmao!!!! ^^^

Your a monster....
Old 04-28-05, 12:30 PM   #8
Compose

IP: D5FE 7245

can someone paraphrase that essay into 1 paragraph lmao im too lazy sorry
I cant buy clothes when the manikins are watchin" -Canibus
Old 04-28-05, 12:38 PM   #9
Spektikul
The Original Half Ass King

Text Record: 36-0
Graphics Record: 0-0
IP: C431 103C

Felt the same way dawg ^^^

Maybe someday when I have like 4 hours of free time Ill read it...
Old 04-29-05, 05:17 PM   #10
^^..^^

IP: 3147 6785

Wordness She Looks Dope Ill Marry Her
No I wont battle you, usage of the word ducked is played. get over it Im mod........have a nice day.

^^in other words your scared running from a battle on a site made for battling and your mod so you dont have to battle you just duck and pop shit?
herb
I OWN RB YOUR NAME GOES HERE

SOCRATES
EFUSIVE

PAIR-A-DYCE

LYRIC
VALOR
OAKLEY

SDIZZLE
Send a message via AIM to ^^..^^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^^..^^   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-05, 05:20 PM   #11
Murdah.txt
Get Stomped.

IP: 269A 4FA9

ill fuck her shes cute